Ok so scuttlbutts always been, coil overs make your Mustang ride like a slammed Honda. Turns out, nothing could be further from the truth. Cobra started out on H&R race at all four corners with fresh Bilsteins HD's controlling em. Ride was good, firmer than stock but more controlled along with a nice stance, great upgrade. Next, opted for a front coilover kit from MM along with 275 / 300 and 350lb front springs. Wow, way nicer / more controlled n stable ride on the street with 275's up front, nice improvement at lapping days with the 350's up front, money well spent.
Drove it like that for a couple of years and was very pleased but looking for more at the track. Took the plunge and ordered Koni's all round along with 450lb fronts and 650lb rear coil over set ups from Maximum Motorsports. So there was a problem with the fronts that saw me only able to install the rears before track day n have to stick with the 350 + Bilsteins on the front. Night before during road test, was expecting the rear to feel ridiculous and the front to feel too firm, oddly enough, front felt too soft and rear rides well, very well, who'd a thunk with those huge springs out back (keep in mind, coil over rates are figured differently vs conventionally located).
So with the front parts issue under control, installed the front Koni's and 450lb fronts on Sunday. Quickie alignment and off we go, be dammed if the bitch doesn't feel even better. By better I mean, dramatically more planted with an even more improved ride. WTF, does the car not realize it's got dump trk springs on all four corners? Put about 300k on it yesterday, ride is good under all conditions from smooth road to choppy secondary one in BF nowhere. Only downside I could find, when turning a corner with ruts, car does have minimal pitch side to side. Easily cured if I dropped to a 100% streed dedicated spring rate front and rear. I'd originally planned to run the following on the street, 350 up front and 450 out back. Car is good enough as is, will leave it and enjoy.
Trick is to carefully match springs and shock rates. While the Bilsteins did a terrific job with the lower spring rates, not up to the task of what I'm running now.
Long story short, with coilovers, you can have your cake and eat it to.