Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk coilovers.

Quote Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
    The more I read and learn makes me wish I had just stuck to a completely stock suspension. Even just refurbishing one of these cars to stock isn't cheap, trying to do it on a small budget is worse. I already have $5K sitting in this car and it's in my garage with not a piece of front suspension in it, and from all accounts I have $600CAD of the wrong rear suspension in it already.

Always wanted one, finally got one only because it was an inexpensive shell. Only could afford mostly used parts, but now that I am at the suspension refurbishing stage I wanted all new parts. I dropped a wad (to me) on the 17" rims and I budgeted $500US to do the front suspension as I figured what I had done out back was good for a DD/weekend cruiser. Minimum I'm finding good front end stuff, as I need everything other than my stamped arms and spindles are fine, that is being recommended is over $1K US. Not happening. Even scraping up $500US is going to be a couple month ordeal.

Now I've built cars, mostly lifted trucks, many many years ago when I had the money to play. Money now is tight, I buy/sell computer parts and make a small bit of coin, but we;re talking $100-200 a month. Some of that money also has to go towards rebuilding my 1992 Dodge B250 which is my DD. At $120+ a fill up, it leaves me precious little to squrrel away and every now and then the wife tosses me a few bucks to keep my project going. I have never been under the illusion that it was going to be cheap to build a car. I'm not upset at what I have spent, I just honestly expected to be further along by this point. Sadly, I have mis-spent a good $500 so far, one step back but not a big one to say the least.

What I am trying to accomplish now is to buy a setup that is within my budget and make sure there is the ability to upgrade over to better parts without throwing away anything expensive. To me, $200 CC plates are exotic parts, I wasn't even dreaming of spending that much a year ago, now I have cornered myself into an almost impossible situation where either I buy them or go back to a stock setup.

If you managed to wade through all my whining, at this point I am either going to have to go with the UPR stuff I have posted earlier or just stop and be in limbo for quite some time. I truly appreciate honest answers given, again, I never expected this to be cheap. I guess my next question is would the parts I listed work with the KYB GR2 struts I have (they are new at least) since I can't return them and would I get at minimum a stock type ride. I would think at a minimum I'd get a better ride due to what I read on the MM site, but my budget will never allow anything better, not for a long time.

I'm to the point that I just want to drive my car. Until I figure out the mess I made and how to make it bearable, that ain't happening. I still have body work and major interior work to do as well. I was aiming to make it 100% on the mechanical end first.

Man, just realizing a very hard lesson, I should have just saved a few bucks and bought something in one piece (stock) and driven it. Building lifted trucks (we're talking back in the double solid axle days) was easy. This is just an exercise in frustration unless you have a minimum $10K sitting around for mechanicals alone.
    Sucks eh? Well we all do as much as we can! I have some front springs you can have for free, but they are APEX and have a coil cut. With new isolators they may not be too low....at minimum it will allow you to get the car back together. I do not believe they were as low as your last springs. I know you're getting those seats Thursday, I can make arrangements to get those springs to you if you'd like. PM me.

b1lk1
    I have already welded reinforcements in both front rails, passenger shock tower had a 2"X6" spot that is fixed. Torque boxes are nice, interior is out and no cracking and I will be welding in some reinforcing there. I have bushings for the front a-arms.

Has welded in frame connectors, floor is nice other than small hole where floor pan meets firewall section under clutch pedal, that;s getting fixed now. I do all my own welding, I'm no expert but I can make strong welds.

At this point, I see little sense in continuing with a coilover setup, anything good is just too far out of my budget. There's a couple of sets of front springs on Ebay, one from a 03-04 Cobra and another for a 95 Cobra R that are cheap enough and would let me get my wheels back on the ground.

Always wondered why there were so many over priced unfinished projects out there, now I know why. BTW, leaning towards those 03-04 springs, my struts can handle them I believe, and the bonus is they are about $110CAD to my door.

Thanks Slick, at this point I am stuck finding full length springs or the ass end will be much higher than the front. I do appreciate it though! Can't wait to get those seats, one more small step forward.

Why not try to just get some stock springs from somewhere, probably for free, then chop 1 coil off. You'll be good to go!

b1lk1
    Only reason not going stock is that most will be worn out. I'm really hoping to find an almost new/new set of fronts for the cheap, although I would like something stiffer than stock LX springs. I'm taking my time on this one, gonna makes sure whatever I put up there is better than stock. As I said, Ebay has more than a few sets of Ford OEM's (Cobra) for a fairly good price that I can afford.

The rear springs I put in are almost new and they are not drop springs. I wanted my car back up in the air, those Drop Zone springs were garbage to say the least for my taste. I'm old (only 47) and sore (LOL!) and need something that will help my old ass enjoy my car.

PS: Someone should, if they have the time, make a good sticky on suspension work so that others can benefit from some of our mistakes and learn from the guys that mostly figured it out.

Key, post up your proposed combo before purchase. Lots of guys willing to share their thoughts and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
    Only reason not going stock is that most will be worn out. I'm really hoping to find an almost new/new set of fronts for the cheap, although I would like something stiffer than stock LX springs. I'm taking my time on this one, gonna makes sure whatever I put up there is better than stock. As I said, Ebay has more than a few sets of Ford OEM's (Cobra) for a fairly good price that I can afford.

The rear springs I put in are almost new and they are not drop springs. I wanted my car back up in the air, those Drop Zone springs were garbage to say the least for my taste. I'm old (only 47) and sore (LOL!) and need something that will help my old ass enjoy my car.

PS: Someone should, if they have the time, make a good sticky on suspension work so that others can benefit from some of our mistakes and learn from the guys that mostly figured it out.
    For the RECORD springs aren't the only cause of a rough ride...... stick a set of gas shocks Like cheapo KYB gas adjusts 2 and be ready for a pee break every block.....

Ok that being said. IMO those factory springs you listed (I've had / have both) aren't worth the effort. Get a good set of Eibach pros or H&Rs spend the money ONCE.

b1lk1
    I agree OldSchool, not blaming springs in general, but the springs I had were crap and my car was basically riding the bump stops. They were an impulse buy and I got them used and sold them for what I paid, no harm no foul. As of this moment, I have no front springs at all to put in the car. I'm looking for a set of 03-04 stock Cobra springs as I feel they will be an upgrade from stock LX springs and will still be workable with my other budget parts. I'm in damage control mode so buying a whole set for $250+ is out of the question.

It's not a matter of worth the effort, I cannot afford any of the supporting mods to get my car on the road. If I can do that then I can sit back, read, read and read some more and then listen even harder. As ZR stated, if I'm gonna start going for real upgrades it's time to sit back, post my potential list and listen to the advice I've been given. As of late, I have mostly ignored advice and went with what I have because my mind says "it's good enough".

I also realize my struts are far from ideal, but that s the other reason I want to stick to a stock set of springs. Makes no sense buying good springs with my cheap dampers.

second hand Eibachs are near the same $$ as the other items. That is what I have done.
    How does 04 Cobra Stuff work on SRA car?
    the Cool part of the Eibach's for SRA cars (can't speak for the HR or sportlines ones) is they are progress rate springs. offering the best of both worlds.

b1lk1
    Only looking for front coil springs, no other parts. I have yet to see a real set of name brand name springs go for less than $200 used. If I'm lucky and fine some local, I'm hoping to spend $50 or less.