Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk coilovers.

b1lk1
    What kills me is that is seems if you spend under $1500 all in you may as well stick to stock style suspension.

Some decent bang for your buck set ups out there. For yours

-prokit or similar springs
    -KYB's for all four corners
    -Maximum M lower rear arms
    -FMS or used '99 up uppers
    -Maximum CC plates
    -Maximum alum rack bushings

If your more into handling, sub a set of MM road and track springs for the Eibach.
    Above is assuming you've already got Steeda SFC's
    Want more, do the following as the budget will allow
    -MM STB brace
    -MM 4pt G load brace

Ran similar to above for years on both my former Fox and '00 GT with great results, car performed and rode well.

^^^ran the same setup on my '90 notch and my current '94GT.
    Eibach Pro Kit + KYB shocks/struts. Used camber bolts prior to getting the CC plates, and Steeda LCA's prior to the MM's.

Setup was fine for the street. Not so great for the road course.
    -Don____________

Don, Your new setup, how extreme is the differential from front end handling characteristics to the rear handling behaviour?

can you feel the balance difference ?

b1lk1
    I have longtubes, no 4pt brace. Gonna fab up my own 2 point brace. As for strut tower brace, that's on my mind as well. Also gonna fab up my own shock tower brace. Finished pulling the interior out today, now the only thing that should be able to catch on fire when welding is the paint. I think I'm out of welding gas though, had a rough time fixing a hole in my B250 yesterday.

$1500 bucks just for my two front coilovers with springs......

b1lk1
    At this point I am no longer worried about anything other than finding a good set of front springs to get it back on the ground. I found a set that I'm hoping are still for sale next week and will use them until I can save a couple grand to do it right. Current;y, nothing I have can be used for any type of handling suspension. I'm OK with that. Just need front springs to get it back in one piece and drivable. Once I get this done I am gonna focus on getting it through e-testing, although I have it running very well right now, light years better than when I failed so I am confident it will pass. Once I get to this stage, it's time to do some long hard thinking. Thanks to the info I have learned here, you guys just saved me about $800 on the wrong parts, and I think it is time to just get my car to be a streetable car. Anything more is just out of reach for me. I figure if I can finish the bodywork and paint it next spring I may just start looking for something old and slow, something someone is willing to trade me a for my Fox for.

Drove by a Galaxy 500, looked to be a 67-68, that made me drool. The kind of car that will not necessarily be fast, but it would be a major pleasure to drive. I love big old boats. If I could find a 70-72 Olds Custom Cruiser wagon in good shape then I'd jump all over that even faster. But I digress, this thread is a wealth of info, should be pointed to to anyone contemplating spending money so that they spend it right.

If those front springs fall through gimme a holler, have stock Cobra fronts here for sure.

b1lk1
    I love old boats. I had the chance to drive a 62 Impala a few years back. Had to hit the brakes quick and as usual, one of the front drums was not adjusted properly and the car dived for the ditch. No worries, I was basically ready for that. I grew up driving old boats, my first car was a 1978 LDT II and I absolutely LOVED my 1974 Impala with a 400 in it. I've owned at least 500 cars in my lifetime, many for just a few weeks as they were junk when I got them. Add to that I was a driver for a used car dealer and we picked up the junk they bought at auction that was often extremely unsafe to drive. I love old cars.

As for my Mustang, I'm just trying to prevent any more poor choices, as I have already made a few. Most things I've done people would agree with. I spend a buttload on exhaust getting good ceramic coated headers and new high flow cats. I put together a good bolt on special for the engine, makes great power for me and it's fun to drive. I now have proper size rims/tires. I have yet to do the brakes, but I'd waiting for this winter and since I'm sticking to 4-lug I've already accepted the price premium that is going to come with getting that right.

Old cars I can fix and I know what to do to them. Problem is, I have no idea how to modernize then to current new car performance levels. Suspension is very tricky to get right and this thread is proof positive of that. There's not just one formula, but there are lots of budget combos out there that do not deliver what is expected.

I'm comfortable and confident with my plan as of today, now that I understand it all much better I realize you either go balls deep if going coil over/race suspension, or just upgrade stock style as required and realize there are the inherent limits still there that were there when the car was new, but you can raise those limits enough to have some fun. I usually know better than to let parts descriptions online fool me and as I learned this valuable lesson, I've saved as much as I have wasted so it's technically a wash.

Quote Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
    I love old boats.
    Without reading every thread.

What are you trying to modernize?