Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using or thinking about using water wetter

Using or thinking about using water wetter

After chasing an issue on JT's GT 500 (intercooling overheating n spewing coolant) we removed the later model / higher flow rate GT500 pump he'd previously installed and went back to the original Bosch pump found on the Cobra and Lightening. All went smooth with the bumper cover n related bits off, pump on and primed, voila we had coolant flow in the bottle. Ok so it's done and ready to pick up, about 90 seconds into idling for warm up, coolant bottle is foamed to the brim n spilling outta the top. WTF, pump hooked up correctly, electrical is right cause it's spinning the right way, well what the hell. Allow to sit for a few minutes thinking maybe it's due to purging air after being drained, fired back up, same result. Sat back for a few minutes n scratched my head (lil wonder I've got so lil hair left, working on cars n all) n finally get the idea, perhaps the last shop to drain it had a contaminated bucket (soap maybe). Using the coolant tester, pull a few ounces out and put in a clear water bottle n shake 5 or 6 times. Be dammed if it didn't make a pink milkshake outta it, took several minutes to settle. Hmmm, got a bottle of Water Wetter on the shelf, could it be? It gets the shake test, we only wish we could get a milk shake to look like that. I wonder if this is a long life coolant issue, dump a couple of ounces in another water bottle along with the same amount of water, shake the living hell outta it. Slight amount of bubbles on the top, dissipate within seconds onces I stopped.
    Drain and flush the intercooler bottle n lines and refill. Minimal bubbles in the coolant with no foaming.
    Damm you Water Wetter, suppose to increase efficiency when all along it was the root of the problem.
    See pics below, each received five shakes before placing down. Results speak for themselves.
    Last pic is after sitting for several minutes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow. That's not good.

Hckynut
    Thanks! The bottle on my shelf getting tossed.

Wow, thats good to know. Speaking of coolant. Can it evaporate/burn up? My cold fill level is low. Never noticed a leak anywhere.
    Follow me on Instagram @ray721_14gt for car pics and general shenanigans

Because Rayscar!!!!

Not uncommon for some vehicles to need a tic of coolant to top off from time to time with no leak visible. Never in a million years would I've dreamed water wetter could have done that.

We have a mare, yes a real horse, that developed all kinds of health issues and was breaking the bank with vet bills when a ranch hand friend of mine said "you should let a horse be a horse. Just give it quality hay, water and nothing else". So we did and she got better in no time. Now we never give her any fancy feed or expensive supplements etc. She's never been healthier.

Maybe mustangs really are like horses. No fancy treats. Just use good fuel and quality tried and true fliuds and save yourself a bunch of grief (and money).

TurboFox
    Honestly ive never had an issue running straight water in mine...coolant for the winter storage. Car doesn't run hot, not really sure what else to ask for

I remeber a few years back I went to get a bottle of water wetter for my Cobra. When I asked at the speed shop they told e not to use it because it can cause cavitation. Now I see why they said that.

Wow, nuts!! I use to use that stuff. Had it in my current GT for the first couple of summers!! I have since not used the stuff. Good heads up!

TheMustangShow
    Surprising results with that WW test. I used to use a product called Engine Ice in my cars and bikes, when that product vanished, I switched to WW and it is now clear that this product exacerbated my problems with this set up in the GT500. Even when used in small amounts with just water it was foaming and mitigating the efficiently of the intercooler. This was not the only issue with my modded set up, but it definitely was a contributor.

After doing some research, it looks like a lot of Porsche and BMW Track guys have bitched about WW for years, as well as UberComputer owners that have used it in liquid cooled set-ups and experienced the Foaming FAIL.

It would be interesting to hear what Redline have to say about Rick's findings.

Anyway, water (wetter) under the bridge now and thankful Rick figured it out, I'm looking forward to more than 5 laps at a time now.