Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil change question for Coyote

stangstevers

Oil change question for Coyote

Feel like getting this done soon. But I'm a total newb on these mod motors. I do like synthetic oil, have been using Castrol synthetic in pretty much everything. Probably a mental thing (got lots of those) but I did see and read that synthetic is better for the engine.

I read that these engines can be picky about the oil, 5w30 is recommended but I feel dirty using that. As for the filter I'll just get one from a dealership instead of Fram or whatever... I hope I don't need any special tools like the Audi oh and I think someone over-tightened the plug as it looks like it's been rounded a bit, I'll buy a new one just in case.

thanks

Go to dealer get new plug and filter. I hear great things regarding Amsoil 10W40 synthetic. I'm currently running Mobil1 5W50 but will be switching to Amsoil in about a month.
    Follow me on Instagram @ray721_14gt for car pics and general shenanigans

Because Rayscar!!!!

Filter, OEM Ford or Wix
    Oil, as suggested above or 10w30 full syn.
    Pan plug, OEM Ford only.

I heard that Amsoil has 5W50. Personally I am running Motul 5W40 for 2 plus years and no issues whatsoever. As everyone said above OEM filter and plug is key to success. Also make sure that you ensure that the rubber from the filter doesn't stick to the engine side.

Ford oil spec for Coyotes is either 5W20 for the regular engines, or 5W50 synthetic for the Boss 302 and Track Pack GTs with oil cooler. If it was my own I would certainly be using synthetic thicker than 5W20!

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

Agreed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
    Ford oil spec for Coyotes is either 5W20 for the regular engines, or 5W50 synthetic for the Boss 302 and Track Pack GTs with oil cooler. If it was my own I would certainly be using synthetic thicker than 5W20!

cheers
    Ed

stangstevers
    Thanks guys, synthetic 10w30 it is. My guess is 5w30 is to squeeze a little more MPG out of the engine? I know Ford uses oil to cool down the pistons so I wouldn't go crazy out of spec.

Roushcharged
    Using Amsoil 5w30 at the moment, will be making the switch to 10w30 next oil change.

I'll be interested to hear your results. In the 3v, less consumption + reduced cold start up smoke + reduced oil in the separator.

stangstevers
    I now get about 2 tablespoons of oil in the separator per 1500km... (approximately). Oil smells bad to me too, like when an engine has been flooded or something. Must be the cheap Ford oil from the dealership.