Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 00 Gt Oil pressure sender

00 Gt Oil pressure sender

Hey Guys

Just wondering if this a common issue on 4.6 2v. My oil pressure gauge likes to act like a redheaded step child. On start up I've got nothing usually and then within about 5 mins of driving it comes right up to normal. I already tool the connector out and cleaned it but still having the issue. I would say if she had no oil pressure I wouldn't get to the end of street before she would start knocking and banging. Had this same issue with my avalanche a year or so back and it was the pressure sender but was looking for some input as Ford is new to me. The part is cheap but want to make sure that's what's actually going on. Before anyone asks yes the oil is fresh and level is good.

While not common, we have replaced a few senders here.
    Suggest OEM Ford only.
    You could test the gauge.

ZR thanks I would only replace with OEM in a situation like this. How can I test the gauge?? Volt meter? It's strange because it will sit on the pin and then usually by the time I get to the end of the street it will jump to regular position. Almost like until the sensor warms up it doesn't work or worst case the oil pump isn't working until it's warm.

Don't remember if it's two wires or one.

two wires, remove from sender, use a piece of fine wire or paper clip to join em together in the connector, turn key on for just a split second, gauge should rise (don't allow it to full sweep, could damage gauge or jump stop pin)

single wire, remove from sender, use a piece of fine wire or paper clip to run from terminal to ground source, turn key on as above.

It's a single wire. I'll try what you've said on Wednesday when I get back from work. Thanks by the way appreciate the quick response.

Be sure to just click the key on for just a second to be sure it rises.

Why bother testing the gauge? The sender is cheap and easy to replace.
    If it still doesn't work, then investigate the dash gauge.

I had the sender go on my 4.6L in the F150. Scared the hell out of me. I started the truck, went out to clear the snow, came back in and no oil pressure! Shut the truck off immediately. After I collected myself, I realized it must of just been the sender.

On the '00, is the gauge an actual gauge? Or is it just an idiot light that looks like a gauge? It was the later on the F150. The 'gauge' would only show 'normal' or 'zero'.
    -Don____________

Yup, idiot light with a needle

Yeah its an idiot light with a needle. It threw me off when I first got the car because I'm used the the oil pressure fluctuating with rpms and it doesn't do that.

You can also do the HEC diagnostic test at startup. Hold the instrument cluster SELECT/RESET button, turn the ignition switch to the RUN position, and then continue pressing the SELECT/RESET button (5 seconds) until tESt is displayed in the odometer. The SELECT/RESET button must be released within 3 seconds of the odometer tESt display to begin the dealer test mode.

Depress the SELECT/RESET button to advance through the options.

Put it in guage and see if runs a full sweep of the needle, will show if bad stepper motor. Then put it to oil and see if the value is greater than 176, which generally indicates a faulty sender.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate