Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  13
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Chicken Little here again - Thunderstorm/Tornado watch for S.Ontario

Problem is, they get it wrong even a small number of times in a row, peeps will quickly learn to disregard. Perhaps the threshold for declaring an alert is too low? Don't know enough about predicting weather to have a real opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Armen View Post
    Just to note: The above were those new special alerts that came across the radio.
    Was at the chiropractors office where they have the radio on as background music. They have it turned down so low that you could just barely hear the signal, but then not the actual warning. LOL, receptionist asked me: "Did you hear that? It's been doing that since noon."
    -Don____________

Mustang Occasionally
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Problem is, they get it wrong even a small number of times in a row, peeps will quickly learn to disregard. Perhaps the threshold for declaring an alert is too low? Don't know enough about predicting weather to have a real opinion.
    I don't know if you heard these alerts yesterday, Rick, but for a second I thought maybe the Russians launched their ICBMs.

I didn't Chris, is there a link anywhere to em?

Problem is, they get it wrong even a small number of times in a row, peeps will quickly learn to disregard.
    -Don____________

stangstevers
    Same thoughts here. Although I will look at the weather radar and if I see nothing but thick nasty clouds coming my way, I'll take it more seriously. There are tell tell signs of nasty weather coming at you though like cumulonimbus (sp?), mammatas clouds, wind direction (or shift) and some trees will turn their leaves upside down during strong winds. I grew up around farmers

^^^you forgot: "the sky turns green"

that's when I usually run for cover.
    -Don____________

Mustang Occasionally
    I didn't Chris, is there a link anywhere to em?
    http://www.theweathernetwork.com/public-alerts

Scroll down till you see the pic of the speaker. Click on 'if you hear this'

Now imagine you're listening to news radio and it goes dead. And then that sound comes on. Then a computer voice... WARNING, WARNING...

I was like, wtf!?! I was 100kms away from 'the event' and I almost took cover myself, lol.

Reminded me of this scene from Threads:

stangstevers
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    ^^^you forgot: "the sky turns green"

that's when I usually run for cover.
    That's when it will really hit the fan. Worst weather I've been in was the ice storm in Quebec and before that a small tornado or something strong cut through my small town, I was pretty young though and thought it was cool to see a roof cut off one house and land in another's pool.

Downright creepy sounding.
    thanks Chris.