Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  13
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Chicken Little here again - Thunderstorm/Tornado watch for S.Ontario

Off my meds again
    Quote Originally Posted by Armen View Post
    Yup, that was it! Good find.
    Would have made it a little easier if I didn't search Chuck Doswell or Warren Faidley. lol

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Problem is, they get it wrong even a small number of times in a row, peeps will quickly learn to disregard. Perhaps the threshold for declaring an alert is too low? Don't know enough about predicting weather to have a real opinion.
    I think there are two issues that EC should address. Both have the same simple solution too.

Most people assume when there are severe storms are forecast it'll come through as one big messy line of storms (which it usually does) whereas yesterday there were a couple discreet cells with one dominate cyclic super cell that I was chasing with a couple other guys. That said the way EC could address the warning issue at least in cases like yesterday, would be to use what's called a "polygon warning"*. A "polygon warning" is basically a targeted warning for areas that are likely in the path of the storm, instead of using the shotgun method of blasting out warnings for areas that MIGHT be in the path. As for putting most of Southern and Central Ontario under a tornado watch, given the setup for yesterday, I believe EC made the right call.

*Polygon warnings

Thanks for your input.

Off my meds again
    I have a few more photos to edit, but here's what I have already.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133966...57654367863596

Killer shots dude.

Off my meds again
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Killer shots dude.

Too bad it didn't drop a tornado. There's always next time, but it was cool to chase with Mark Robinson and Jaclyn Whittal from the Weather Network until we all got separated because of traffic. I ended up sticking with the two chasers I started out with, and we got a much better view of the storm.

Windmill shots look amazing!
    -Don____________

Mustang Occasionally
    Quote Originally Posted by StAnger View Post
    Would have made it a little easier if I didn't search Chuck Doswell or Warren Faidley. lol

I think there are two issues that EC should address. Both have the same simple solution too.

Most people assume when there are severe storms are forecast it'll come through as one big messy line of storms (which it usually does) whereas yesterday there were a couple discreet cells with one dominate cyclic super cell that I was chasing with a couple other guys. That said the way EC could address the warning issue at least in cases like yesterday, would be to use what's called a "polygon warning"*. A "polygon warning" is basically a targeted warning for areas that are likely in the path of the storm, instead of using the shotgun method of blasting out warnings for areas that MIGHT be in the path. As for putting most of Southern and Central Ontario under a tornado watch, given the setup for yesterday, I believe EC made the right call.

*Polygon warnings
    But what was interesting is that the 'alert' yesterday said 'THIS IS A DANGEROUS TORNADO'... Like, one was on the ground. It was a bit over the top, imo.

And really, what tornado isn't dangerous, lol.

Only safe tornado, da one dat doesn't happen.

Off my meds again
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Windmill shots look amazing!
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by Armen View Post
    But what was interesting is that the 'alert' yesterday said 'THIS IS A DANGEROUS TORNADO'... Like, one was on the ground. It was a bit over the top, imo.

And really, what tornado isn't dangerous, lol.
    Maybe a little too cautious? Then again, maybe it's hard to be too cautious in a situation like that.

Little over cautious on the warnings Maybe. But I think it's good they are making an attempt.
    I know it's different in the big cities. But there is an issue with the way they do stuff here in rual towns. I had this conversation last year with a couple local guys. In small towns our fire departments are all volunteer. All members of the departments have pagers but when ever there is a fire call they also sound the "fire alarm". The same alarm that's used for tornado warnings and any other pending disaster. The problem this has created. Is the town wide alarm is sounded once a week on practice night and anytime the fire department has a call. Didn't matter if it's an accident, fire or a false alarm at one of the mills of old folks homes. So everybody in the community has grown accustom to the alarm. It goes off and everyone ignores it. If a tornado was headed straight for my town and they sounded the alarm. No one would pay any attention.