Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Timing issue

Club Sponsor Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tulowd View Post
    Sure sounds like 2 spark plug wires are backwards or the firing order is snafu - check this out:

next time you get it started, try rotating the distributor back and forth to see if you can get it to idle - once you do, as the idle speed increases, you are advancing the timing.

Where is that sourced from? (Doesn't look right)

Most Ford pushrod V8s are either 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8, or 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
    Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT - Waterloo
    www.parkwayford.ca
    toll free lines:
    sales dept 866-980-6752
    service dept 888-785-4008
    parts direct 844-339-0452
    we're on Instagram: parkwayford

tulowd
    Ooops, looks like only half of it is right.

Here is a link with MSD info as well as commentary showing some of MSD data is wrong.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...73211&page=all

The cam card should have the correct firing order printed on it.

Camshaft is a tfs stage 1 so it's the 1-3-7... firing order which I have double checked. I'll try tulowds suggestion of rotating the distributor. Hopefully that works.

Quote Originally Posted by 1quikgt View Post
    Yes we have tried with the spout in place, firing order has been checked and rechecked. Injectors are 30# and maf is calibrated for 30#. The rockers are comp cam stud mount and were installed according to their directions. It is the original damper and it does not look like the bonding is separating. We've moved the distributor rotor in multiple directions so I'm not sure what is meant by stabbed a full turn out?
    The cam turns twice for every turn of the crank.
    if you stab the distributor when #1 is at tdc after the exhaust stroke strange things happen.
    Usually bucks and backfires - if it runs are all.

What procedure did you use to find TDC #1?

Pull Spark Plug#1, rotate engine using rachet. Put your thumb over the spark plughole, when pressure pushes your finger off the hole, you have the compression stroke of the engine, that is what you want. Then stop and look at the balancer, it will be nearing -0-, turn the engine to -0-, and drop in the distributor. The rotor should point directly at the #1 plug terminal on the cap. At this point your motor is at TDC and timing is at 0. Start it up, and get a timing light on it. Turn clockwise to advance timing.

If you wish to fire up at 10deg advance, rotate until pointer is at 10 (make sure it's advanced, not retarded), drop in dist and align rotor up with cylinder #1, snug down, fire up and set timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    The cam turns twice for every turn of the crank.
    if you stab the distributor when #1 is at tdc after the exhaust stroke strange things happen.
    Usually bucks and backfires - if it runs are all.
    Crap, just read that again......crank turns twice for every turn of the cam. D'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Pull Spark Plug#1, rotate engine using rachet. Put your thumb over the spark plughole, when pressure pushes your finger off the hole, you have the compression stroke of the engine, that is what you want. Then stop and look at the balancer, it will be nearing -0-, turn the engine to -0-, and drop in the distributor. The rotor should point directly at the #1 plug terminal on the cap. At this point your motor is at TDC and timing is at 0. Start it up, and get a timing light on it. Turn clockwise to advance timing.

If you wish to fire up at 10deg advance, rotate until pointer is at 10 (make sure it's advanced, not retarded), drop in dist and align rotor up with cylinder #1, snug down, fire up and set timing.
    Does the rotor also need to be pointing toward #1 cylinder? Getting conflicting info during my research. Some say it does others say just at #1 on cap.

Pointing at #1 on the dist cap.
    Did you bump over as described above to figure out TDC for #1?

Yes. At least I think it was the compression stroke. I'll have to start over from the first step again when I have time