Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stock HO cam VS letter cams

b1lk1

Stock HO cam VS letter cams

OK, what's the skinny on these cams. I have a good stock HO cam and I have GT40 heads, Crane 1.7 rockers and everything else I need to install in another motor. I don't have the budget for a $300 custom grind.

Opinions, and please, not emotions, I would love some actual factual opinions.

If your set up includes a stock or mild intake, what you've already got will serve you well.

b1lk1
    I have a B cam now, thought I had another issue, had a strange ticking noise, turned out to be the AIR hose to the converter. BBK's hose they included in the kit melted......

Normally they include the correct high heat / silicone hose.

b1lk1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Normally they include the correct high heat / silicone hose.
    Yeah, I had the install kit, it was an new BBK catted X Pipe but the included hose melted.

Use a piece of heater hose until you can find the right one.
    Oddly enough, heater hose stands up fine on most, just depends on how close it is to the converter / pipe.

E-303 is decent if you want to meet emissions and it should work well with your heads. Letter cams are not big power makers but they help a bit.

yep...the "E" is what you want^^^...however

without the rest...heads...intake...exhaust...you wont get a lot more

my buddy installed one...on a stock set up...ran ok...not great

but if he gets serious & does the rest...the cam should work good

b1lk1
    @ ZR: I think it needs a different routing, looks like there was alot of pressure on the top of the hose where it melted. Gonna slap a piece of heater hose on there today and go for a good ride.
    5-20
    I have decent heads and intake (performer and all the 70MM bolt ons). I have a B cam now, thought the exhaust noise was in the engine (duh.......) and jumped the gun on this thread. I still need to replace a bent pushrod, but it's quiet 99% of the time and I'm lazy, lol. I also need to install new intake gaskets (Edlebrock performer) as last time I reused the gaskets (only ran it 15-29 hours).

Anyhow, thanks for the advice, now I gotta read up on properly shimming my rockers too. Already have the shim kit, just gotta get my butt in gear. Redoing the entire suspension wore me out, lol.

Just check your clearances if you decide to do an e cam with those rockers, getting close. I have had great luck with the e cams, they work decent with a blower as well. Edelbrock uses the same specs for their performer package. I am running a similar set up to you with gt-40s, cobra intake, 1.6's and e cam. It made 236rwhp at the dyno, but add 10psi and I'm at 438rwhp. Good combo, made more power n/a than the 93 cobra boasted at the crank with its parts