Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's better for rust protection?

stangstevers

What's better for rust protection?

Cleaning off 1/4" of yearly oil/grease rust proofing and POR15 everything or just scrape off areas that look to have surface rust and do another rustcheck? I think using POR15 would have a better environmental impact than leaking oil everywhere...

Summer only = POR 15
    See's bad weather = Krown

Ol Paint, Ol Ol Paint, and the Fox all saw daily duty and all got Krowned.

Agree Krown (or similar DRIPPY) oil spray is best, por15 is probably worse for the environment than an oil spray though, Krown/clean engine oil/trans fluid won't even kill grass.

KIDAGIN
    Krown all the way

stangstevers
    Thanks guys... Drippy stuff it is... I'll scrub areas with surface rust and make sure there's no leaky windows causing it. I do want to paint the exposed suspension parts though.

b1lk1
    Krown needs to be done by someone you trust or you'll have problems. My father-in-law swears by it, but we have to replace the motor in his 99 Ranger. Since whoever Krowned it spent all their time in obvious spots, it's amazing how much rust there is, especially brake lines. Of course, my father-in-law isn't that bright and never did his part by maintaining his truck, but that stuff don't work if it's not applied right.

^Agree 100%, had a problem with my own car at my local Krown place, had it done again but if I didn't check it right away there would still be no protection there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    still curious on why not POR15 for foul weather cars, especially considering I'm considering using some for my dd
    Por15 works well but rust can still come through, have seen it at seams and even flat surfaces depending on the car. The only real way to prevent/stop rust is with an oil coating that drips so it will run into all the cracks and crevices. Por15 or good paint helps on the spots you can see but it can never go inside doors, rockers, etc...
    Also, if you're getting oil spray done, now is the time to do it, the warm weather will help it run bett and it will have time to soak in before the fall rain.

Mustang was rust proofed 10 years ago by previous owner....Only summer driven. It's an '85. Never winter driven. Knock on wood, no rust, not even a seized bolt considering I've taken apart/replaced most of the suspension.

I spray my DD myself. Been doing it for 20 years. I've used engine oil, commercial rust proofing etc. etc. Never had rust on any of my cars. Some were kept 10 years.

I agree, do it now so it can creep around. I bought a 2015 jeep. Rust proofed it in April. Will touch up in the fall.

Looking to take in my Ram this month or next.. also considering getting the fox done. It had ZEIBART sprayed on when new, still had rusty shock towers.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk
    '88 LX