Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine building cost?

Rhac2010

Engine building cost?

Just wondering what ball park costs were out there for machine work and assembly of 4.6l. I got quoted $2500-3000 to have the machine work done and the rotating assembly balanced and put in along with the heads installed. That cost was me bringing all the parts in too, is this a common price range for that work?

that might be a little high, but not by much...it's in the ball park.

3K just to assemble? I'm in the wrong business. Glad I can do most thing and have friends for the rest. I paid $1200 for a complete long block assembly and head assemble with new intake cams on a 4V a few years ago. There was no intake install. I guess ifyou go on the deal 200/hr to assemble and it only takes 15 hours to build it..... yeah sorry but that seems really high to me.

^Says machine work and balancing too.

A friend of mine had a mild 289 built 5-10 years ago and it was just under $3k all in, not sure exactly what they did but no major parts were changed, except maybe the Pistons..

99chromegt
    How much machine work? Bore & deck? It all adds up. As a lump sum it seems high but break the total down into individual jobs and I can see that quote not being to far off.

Rhac2010
    Extent of the machine work is unknown as of right now. He said the block might have seen it's day. It's already bored 30 over. He has a new block there he said I could get for $100 that would just need to be honed. I'm sure the heads would have to be decked though. The crank and rods are in mint shape and pistons will be brand new but they are coming from modular head shop. He's going to check everything out this week and see what we are actually working with but his initial price was around $3000

sounds like your being treated fair.

If you are building a motor and your block is toast...why not source out a teksid block?
    "Without Warning, Without Conscience"

Rhac2010
    new to the whole mustang world, just sort of learning about them on the fly. I bought a gt with a windsor in it that doesn't run well at all, but the car came with the stock romeo block with forged everything arp bolts, comp cams, cobra crank, ported heads, beehive springs, and the list goes on, all in pieces. so everything is there for the romeo, the block looks to be in good shape but the machine shop said its pretty well at its end of life.

If you don't trust their judgement on the block condition, your at the wrong shop.