Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doing some reading on T5s online..

70XR7

Doing some reading on T5s online..

And I've read a whole pile of mixed reviews from both sides of the spectrum.
    Rick mentioned a couple years ago when I had my Cougar in the shop that I could do a C4 to T5 swap. After looking up reviews, there's a lot of guys saying that these are basically throw-away transmissions. Max tq of 300lbs, but can only really handle calm city driving when tagged onto a 351c.
    Taking it to the track will not end up good.

Then I've read that some guys are driving larger engines than mine at 400lb of tq with no issues. Is it a case-by-case, made on a Friday kinda thing?

There's the T5-Z, which I understand to be a bit better..? I'd assume they're quite rare though.

Otherwise, what other options would I be looking at? I could consider maybe an old toploader.. but those are 4 speeds as far as I know. Not a big issue, but 5 would be ideal

The swap wouldn't be for a while, but my savings are piling up.. so it's just a matter of time.

HyperGT
    as long as you dont clutchless power shift they are fine. Had one on my blown 331, never an issue (500 rwtq at 3400rpm). Others have blown them up on less. Kindof like stock 5l blocks, win some loose some. Generally all of mine have taken a beating. Have not raced on slicks though.

b1lk1
    I pound the shit out of my T5 every time I drive my car. It whined when I first drove it, actually sounds quieter right now, lol. If you don't dead hook at 4K RPM it will take alot of abuse.

If you ask me (my opinion), you pull the pin on the hand grenade every time you drive a Fox hard. T5 can be a weak link. I don't do high RPM launches, but when I hammer it in 2 or 3rd in town it spins the tires. Just make sure you don't forget where you put that hand grenade pin so you can slide it back in when you park for the night, lol. That is, of course, if you didn't get towed home.

Bad rap so many put on the T5 is unjustified. Lots (just like above with big power) pound them year after year after year with no problems.
    Buy a kit that includes a new out of the box Ford trans n be the happiest guy in the world.

t5 on the turbo car is out of a V6 (retro fitted the shorter input shaft)

its still alive

street tires only...might be different with sticky tires

I've built to many of them to care. If you get serious with the power put a astro kit in 600ft no problem.
    But trust me on the sunscreen !!

70XR7
    Sounds good. Thanks guys!

An out-of-the-box setup would be nice!
    Not sure if my bank account would agree to it though..

I've been looking online. Prices aren't bad for T5s. Easily get rebuilt ones for under 1000 with decent mileage.

Just curious then.. and this may sound novice.. but why don't I see any T45 swaps with older engines? Just wont' fit?

In at least some cases, it's the belief a T5 isn't up to the task so they opt to stick with a 4 speed stick or 3 spd auto.

More different versions available today vs even just ten years ago.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/sear...-size/7-5l-460

b1lk1
    T45 has integral bellhousing, won't fit.

I would only buy a "rebuilt" T5 from someone I know/trust very much. Buy a good core and give it to someone to build (preferably someone around here).