Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Convertible - Pros and Cons

I've owned cars with sunroofs, moonroofs, t-tops, removable hardtop, bikini top, soft top, and convertibles. For a Mustang I prefer the convertible, but the fastback style also calls out to me.
    Out of the vehicles with modified roofs, the fabric style convertible that I have on my 2013 Mustang is the best of the bunch. It doesn't leak(yet?) although I don't expect it to. It does squeak/rattle a tiny bit over rough roads when the top is up.
    The a/c can be used on days like today when I was motoring with the top down. As has been said, evening cruises are the bomb. For daytime running, keep sunscreen and a hat as well as a few towels in the trunk. (towels to cover the seats when they are in the sun and you are parked). I haven't tried the new Mustang seats with cooling so can't say anything about them.
    I really like the idea of roof/ no roof at your demand and my car is just a Summer only vehicle. I thought it tracked well at TMP, but I'm sure the solid roof version can be tweaked way better.
    I'm very happy with mine.

When I started looking for a mustang I considered a vert and decided against it as I wanted to be able to track the car and most rules you need a rollbar.
    That said my next toy will be a convertible, but probably a slower comfortable car, a friend of mine had a sending convertible and it was great

tulowd
    Here is my take on the vert vs solid roof conversation, having owned all three styles

hard top coupe = stiffest chassis
    sunroof = fail, so no debate there
    T roof = pretty cool until you lose or break a glass panel; chassis is noticeably weaker
    vert = nothing like it when driving topless, the car also usually looks better than the hard top; on a Fox it's because the windshield is slanted back 4* more and the roof is also a little lower; chassis is not as stiff unless you buy a modern higher end car designed as a 'vert to start; heavier ttl mass; more squeaks and rattles and leaks
    usually better F/R weight distribution; smaller trunk;
    lower headroom which is a drag with a helmet or if you are tall

Some other comments:

All older convertibles leak, whether its a Porsche or Fox, so that will affect the condition of the chassis and interior
    newer models also have headliners, cloth roofs and fit much better; thus are much quieter as well
    Newer verts are much closer to the hard top in terms of comfort and performance
    The modern hard top folding convertibles are awesome - like BMW 3 series - best of both worlds

Verts always cost more money to buy and maintain/repair - a new roof covering can start at $ 2000; an entire setup incl mechanism would be triple that

I was looking to buy a coupe for my current project and the G/F at the time suggested a vert. Looked at about 50 cars until I saw and bought my 87. It is really not much noisier or leakier than my 84 T roof car was. Way less trunk space of course, but its easier to put the roof up and down than to take the T roofs on and off and store/secure them.

It was hot as Hades driving it today, especially after parking it out in the sun during lunch - hot hot hot steering wheel. With the roof up and all the windows down, it is quite tolerable, even in traffic, even being triple black, and with all that engine heat from the stroker. Always have a hat and sunglasses for driving, even when it's cool or its cloudy.

Bottom line is that the age / era of the car will be the biggest factor in determining if it's (not) for you..... see what I did there ? lol

Have rented a few S197 verts and they are every bit as nice to live with as a hard top in my opinion.

If you plan on modding a 'vert; aka making it faster and handle better - bring lots of extra dough; ask me how I know this.

The roll bar issue is a two headed beast:
    some insurance co's wont touch you with one
    some/most events wont let you on without one

Once a bar is in the car, it will have a compromised interior, altho my son did use the back seat with the roll bar in my old T roof car when he was little.

The heat issue is really only relevant here in July/Aug. I typically put the top down in May and leave it down until Sept unless its raining or the asphalt is melting.
    The cold and wind blowing is another issue entirely. I always wear glasses driving it, shooting glasses at night, because a lot of crap comes flying in - dust, insects etc and boy does that hurt the eyeballs. Newer cars have much better aero and I suspect its not as bad.

DUST/RAIN:
    All verts get filthy inside about 15 minutes after you clean and detail it. This is a fact of life - any vert you see that's clean inside deserves a thumbs up, cause its a ton of work. The inside also fades much faster - especially the cheapo reproduction trim parts - everything goes pale or purple. Look at the Corbeau rear seat cover I installed 3 summers ago - it was black - now its purple grey and they wont do anything about it.
    If you leave the roof down, it will be more wet inside than if you forget the T roofs or sunroof, lol

SECURITY:
    I usually leave it unlocked with the top down; if the windows are up, it is as secure as a hard top. Knifing the roof it isn't going to allow someone to get in thru all the framework but it would suck if the roof is damaged in any way shape or form. Besides a headliner, all Verts also need a well liner and retracted top cover to look complete. Most modern verts have this included - old ones usually not.

DRIVING ENGAGEMENT:
    More stressful than a regular car with the roof down, as you can hear every noise on the road, including the bald tires and bad wheel bearing on the mini van half a mile up the highway - you only realize this after freaking out and thinking something is wrong with your own car; happens at least once or twice a day to me on the 401, lol. It is not really any louder than driving a hard top with the windows down in terms of buffeting or noise in my opinion.

I absolutely love driving mine, not only because it is highly personalized/modded/fast but also the enjoyment of open air motoring. My car is as quiet inside at 80 km/hr as standing in a quiet parking lot; so conversations and civil cruising remain an option, even with a ride as old and hot rodded as my 87. Make sure the exhaust system is decent, a really loud set up is much noisier inside a vert than a hard top.

If you require modern creature comforts and civility; S197 or S550 only in my opinion. Rent one for a weekend to taste the forbidden fruit.

There ya go.

PS: Real verts don't have A/C or heat; everyone else should wrap up their vaginas and hold on to their toupee.... lol

for those with young kids (mine are 7 and 3) - do they like riding in the back or is it too windy??
    BECAUSE RACECAR

Mine daughters 3 and she loves it. The first time we went for a drive she actually fell asleep in the back. She has a ball cap she wears and she she wants to have fun with the wind she takes her hat off.

I"ve owned a 99 35th anniversary edition vert & an 04 Cobra vert. Loved driving with the top down, as most here have also commented. Other than the fact it may require a new roof and are more difficult to get on a track (need proper roll bar), they are awesome to drive. And.....with the right exhaust system, you won't have to worry about the rest of the sounds around you. .

Regarding back seat occupants, they will tend to get blown around a bit more, but I'd bet your kids would love it.

Kids would likely love it! But ya it's really only useful for nights or beginning/end of nice weather season, once it's hot, humid and the sun is out, I would always put the top up and a/c on, people told me I shouldn't have a vert because of that, I cared not. For you I doubt it would be a good option unless it's for a cruiser, vests aren't great to track as much as you do, they need a lot of stiffening and even then they aren't as solid as a coupe, not to mention the added weight.

When I pulled the Cobra vert out in the early spring Ross and I loved cruising on cooler nights with the heat on kill, same for moderate evenings. Only took cruising on one hot day before I sold it.

MrTinkertrain
    Having a vert is like having 2 cars. My kids n their friends love it. Especially with nice sounding exhaust and a pounding system

Owning a vert is like owning a swimming pool. When it's that perfect day you simply can't replace the experience, but most of the other days, it matters little.

I never really drove my verts in the direct sunlight, between 4-9pm was always the best, and at night......along a certain street in Michigan.