Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  2

Thread: CAUTION! LUG NUT read up

tulowd

CAUTION! LUG NUT read up

With all the tire and wheel swaps going on, spacers, bigger tires etc I thought it would be smart to point a light at this, even to us "veterans".

Just occurred to me that a few basic things are taken for granted by all of us regarding wheels tires, studs and lug nuts; moi included. While recently adding 315 rear tires, some small spacers were required. Also mocked up a set of 1" Eibach 5 lug to 5 lug wheel spacers on the front, and found the 315's on 10.5" wheels now clear the Brembo calipers as well as the coil overs. They stick out about 2" from the front fender lip, as expected.

Mustangs typically have 1/2-20 studs and lug nuts, which need to be engaged at least 5 or 6 full turns at 100 lb ft of torque in the proper sequence....twice.
    http://www.maximummotorsports.com/MM...cers-C231.aspx

During this little exercise, I noticed the rear lug nuts were only engaging about 2.5 full turns before being tight. Eric apologized a whole pile, since he did the install personally. Best tire and wheel guy I've ever me - but shows you everyone can forget or make a mistake. I would still not go anywhere else, but it also tells you nothing wrong with checking other people's work.

If you are running wheels with thicker hubs than stock, or spacers larger than 1/8"/4mm, it may be wise to invest in a set of "wheelsaver" lug nuts that have an extended shank below the shoulder; giving you the correct number of turns, even if your studs are too short. This is a way more practical solution than buying and installing long studs, even though THAT is the better solution.
    Wheelsavers come in open and closed ends, so they can look good; albeit they don't come in black.
    Be sure they fit inside your lug nut opening or you will crack your expensive new HRE wheel!

This is what I ended up using. Getting 10 turns of engagement front and rear now, so all is well.

This public service message is brought to you by TuLowd Racing Inc. lol

Good topic. Can never be too careful. 🏻
    Follow me on Instagram @ray721_14gt for car pics and general shenanigans

Because Rayscar!!!!

Can you link me up to the nuts your using?

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Can you link me up to the nuts your using?

Ummmm

b1lk1
    I would only feel safe with longer lugs, if I need to space out my rears for the 275's to fit right I will be buying 8 new studs.

tulowd
    one of the reasons for using the extended shanks is to retain the stock length studs. This allows bolt on wheel spacers to fit, otherwise its longer studs and slip in spacers which is the same deal for way more dough. I got them from Bramalea Tire in Brampton - 2 complete sets - open and closed style

From FAST ED:
    Good message Paul. These are also referred to as "E-T" style lug nuts, because the E-T alloy wheels back in the 70s started using these when most aftermarket alloys used a shank style nut with a washer.

Images for reference:

cheers
    Ed

Thats the ones I though you meant. My take, would opt for correct length studs vs using them. Two reasons for saying, while it extends the number of threads engaged, amount of supporting material is pretty marginal. Suspect for at least some wheels, would not fit correctly through the hole in the wheel itself.

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Thats the ones I though you meant. My take, would opt for correct length studs vs using them. Two reasons for saying, while it extends the number of threads engaged, amount of supporting material is pretty marginal. Suspect for at least some wheels, would not fit correctly through the hole in the wheel itself.
    Big fail if it doesn't work on / fit the wheel of course. The premise of enough threads is the key, as the friction of the contact between the wheel and the hub is what keeps the whole thing together. Longer and larger diameter studs are the ultimate way - like you see on big time drag and road race cars....unless you have the bread to go to a centre lock setup.

Definitely a good reminder. Thank you.

Seen these before on cars with spacers, excellent option to have if you need to run spacers or if your studs just aren't long enough. As stated they must fit inside the stud hole in the wheel to work, when they do work they work well.