Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation On Struts & Shocks?

? What lb spring would work well with that?.. I ve been bottoing out at the track, lookin into seeing what I have??.. Maybe move towards 300 lb ft srings, 200 lb for the bk??...Yellow Koni up front?? ... That maybe little stiff ride, but good on the track??

I have 275's on my Fox, a little on the stiff side but comfortable. I haven't had them on the track but it corners very well on the street.

Considerable difference in ride strut to strut.

b1lk1
    The KYb's seem to be able to handle my very stiff springs (non coilover) 850lbs up front and 250 in the back. Ride is compliant and stiff at the same time. Car handles like it is on rails now. Someday I hope to get better struts/shocks/control arms, but I have so much else to repair on this never ending project, lol.

Couldn't be happier with my bilsteins.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk
    '88 LX

tulowd
    if you put the wrong dampers on your spring setup, you will either wear them out prematurely or have a brutal ride. They need to be matched up to work together, since shocks/struts/dampers control the natural oscillation of your springs. The same theory holds true, whether you have conventional springs or coil overs.

I would read all of this before spending any money. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/St...Tech-C568.aspx

Also, cheap dampers wear out quickly - so even if they feel wonderful for the first month, do you really want to do it twice? :They should be the same brand / model front and rear and consider if they are coil over compatible to allow for a potential future upgrade.

Also, if your car doesn't have welded full length subframe connectors, the suspension cannot do its job properly because the platform moves under varying loads and will give no consistent feedback or performance.

I run Koni Double Adjustable Yellows with Maximum Motorsport coilovers at all 4 corners - Hypercoil 350 and 225 springs. Epic track and high speed manners, a little on the stiff side on the street; but that is mostly because of the flimsy convertible Fox chassis.

DONT cheap out on shocks!! lol

Some good info, and thanks for the link tulowd.
    My GT is set up pretty good in chassis, and suspension. All I need now to finish it properly is to get the proper strut, and shock combo to have less bounce in my ride. A strut, and shock that will do there job on the street.

Right now my GT has...
    sub frame connectors, tubular lower rear control arms with the stock uppers, poly bushings threw out, Eibach Sportline springs, Maximum Motorsports C&C plates, Maximum Motorsports pinion snubber, SWARR bar rear diff brace, and Lakewood 9/10 struts with stock shocks out back. Those are in place cause I loved to drag race at one time. I plan to do this change once, so input, recommendations, and what not is highly welcomed.
    The lakewood 9/10's aren't terrible up front, if anything they really help in many ways, but not the best choice considering I just plan on street driving my GT more rather then race, and I'm sure that most of the bounce I am getting is from the rear stock shocks since they don't match up greatly with the sportline springs.

tulowd
    90/10 shocks are junk for the street - they are designed to allow the front end to come up under launch and come down slowly - meaning your front ride height is above rest and way underdamped during normal driving. You can achieve drag launch with Koni red or yellow single adjustable struts - the rebound is adjustable on those, the comp is not. For the rear you might want to consider the reds only, since they are valved softer than the yellows.

The springs you have won't be happy with 90/10 struts, that's for sure. Not even sure you should stay with those - too low and not sold by MM which should tell you something.

Quote Originally Posted by tulowd View Post
    Epic track and high speed manners, a little on the stiff side on the street; but that is mostly because of the flimsy convertible Fox chassis.
    stiff because it's flimsy?

Totally agree tho with matching the shocks to the spring rates. The KYB shocks and struts were okay for the Pro-kit, but I don't know how much higher a spring rate the Sportlines have?
    -Don____________

American Muscle has Koni's on sale for 35% off. I would pick up a set of yellow SA if I had the extra cash.
    Bilstiens would be a great choice also and can be bought on this side of the border.