Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Way back in the spring of 1974 I was newly married. We had a 1973 Datsun 510 coupe with all sorts of mods(even then I was crazy). I hated when my wife drove it, because she didn't let it warm up, and she'd let the clutch chatter and she'd grind the gears, and stomp on the brakes, and perform all sorts of other nasties on that car that bothered the hell out of me.
So one day I said I was going to buy a car for her. I dragged her all over the city looking at every kind of car there was (except Chevies)and she turned he nose up at everything. Finally, one day, I found what I thought was the perfect car. I gave the guy a $50 deposit on the car(we'd agreed on a price of $1200), and took my wife to see it. She turned it down flat, and the guy refused to give me back my deposit. What was it?
a 1966 Mustang GT convertible, 289 4 barrel, with 4 speed manual, white top and white interior with a fire engine red body. I almost cried.
I went out the next day and bought myself a motorcycle to console my grief. Which bike I smacked up a few months later.
Fast forward 21 years. Summer 1995. Business was terrible. I was forced into bankruptcy, and was reduced to driving a 1992 Dodge Spirit that my in laws sold me, cheap. Somewhere along the line, when both my wife and I were feeling sorry for ourselves, I said to her that things would get better, and guess what, I'm gonna get a brand new Mustang convertible and we will recover.
3 years later: December 1998. I went to Markville Ford and ordered a brand new 1999 Mustang GT convertible. Tan top, tan interior, burgundy paint. Rhonda bought me chrome aftermarket wheels as a present.
I put 95,ooo km on it, then ordered a brand new 03 Cobra. Life was good.
Things change though. After having had 7 Mustangs, a Jaguar F-type wormed it's way into my life. I've had it 2 months and I've done 10,000 km already.

As an afternote: guess what my wife desperately wants, now that I have my dream car? a red 1966 Mustang convertible!!
What? Really?! You bought a Jag? Congrats! I guess I haven't been on the forum for a while to hear the great news! Awesome! Great story leading up to the new to you purchase! You set the tone with subtle nuances. Drag our emotions down with despair. Lift us high to meet Jesus with a win for the common man! Woohoo I see a nomination for the Scotiabank Giller Prize! Nominations are open now!

https://scotiabankgillerprize.ca/