Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  166
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How I met my Mustang...

The year was 1991 and while working at my dads automotive shop he received a call from a friend asking if we had seen the Mustang parked in front of the local auto wreckers because he new I was into Mustangs and would like this one.

My uncle and I headed down in a vehicle we planned on leaving there to scrap and when we pulled up it was parked right in front.
    It was an 88 Mustang GT in turquoise (custom paint) with mismatched GT and LX rims on it. Upon further inspection the car was a theft recovery from Scarborough purchased by the auto wreckers and had no interior except the dash and an LX drivers seat. Even all lights front and rear were gone.

My uncle grabbed a milk crate to sit on and off we went back to the shop. Car was stock except for the hollow sound of punched cats and a 3.55 gear. I can remember my uncle telling me to hammer it on the way back and when I did he fell backwards into the back seat area off the crate lol.

We got back to the shop and put it on the hoist and checked it for any physical damage underneath and gave it a full inspection.
    Next thing I know my dad is turning the front rotors on the laid and when I asked him
    “What are you doing that for?”
    He said “You’re not taking it back....you’re buying it I can already tell”.
    And he was right!
    A simple phone call was made and it was a done deal...they were even nice enough to hook me up with most the parts to put it all back together.

The car has been with me for the long haul since and isn’t going anywhere....SO many memories with it over the years and SO many more still to come but now I share all of them with my son.
    Last edited by WidowrRacing; 10-14-2019 at 05:40 PM.

My first Mustang was an 87 LX 5.0 hatch that I bought brand new from Summit Ford. I'd looked at 86 GTs the year before but couldn't quite swing the payments. So in the summer of 87 when I got a raise and a bonus at work I went and picked out what I hoped would be a fairly low profile grey LX at Summit. That didn't quite go to plan however as my previously unblemished driving record was tarnished with 3 speeding tickets for 10 demerit points by the time it went in to storage that fall, had to go for the interview with MTO to tell them why I should get to keep my license. The 87 was my first ever brand new car, I loved that thing. Definitely had a tear in my eye when it went down the road on a trailer about 10 years later when I sold it to a guy from the Ottawa area ... by that point it had become pretty much a track-only car, and the car wasn't getting any use by me. In between I had driven the heck out of that poor thing and modded it quite heavily.

Had huge amounts of fun in it and won a few trophies too from Solo I timed events at Shannonville and autocrossing, and a few more when it became a wheel-to-wheel racer at Mosport and Watkins Glen. At that point it was still my summer daily driver, even with a roll cage, race seat and harnesses, and numbers and stripes on it. Needless to say I was much more careful with my street driving by that point since the car was an easy target for the law. Sometimes I think about trying to reconnect with the guy that bought the car to see if he still has it, or what its fate was as the years have gone by. I can still recite the full 17 digit VIN from memory. LOL
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

My first Mustang was a 65 Mustang 2+2 with a 289 2 bbl and auto. It was repainted by the owner silver from it’s Caspian Blue. I didn’t ‘t know the first time I drove it that drive was actually the middle marking on the automatic and the top one was Drive 2, 2nd and 3rd only. Day after I was married the car got written off while I was on my honeymoon when my brother took my cousins for a ride in it.
    I returned home and found out about it when I went to my parents house where the car had been kept. Well, I took the insurance money and started looking for another. Shortly after I found someone’s project car to make a replica of a 65 Shelby and bought it all in pieces, with lots of parts and new sheet metal. Since I had salvage for the other car I now had a basement full of car parts and a shell in the driveway.
    Well things progressed and all new Ford sheet metal was put on, floors, rear frame rails, Shelby suspension and quick steering kit and a completely redone blue interior with wood grain dash, console and steering wheel. Ran 15 x 7 and 15 x 8 polished Centreline wheels. Rear end was a Ford 9” with 3.50 limited slip. Motor was upgraded to a 289 Hi Po from a 1967 Shelby and it was balanced and blueprinted and fitted with a rare 3x2 bbl Cobra intake with big oval Shelby air cleaner. Automatic was an upgraded C4 with a shift kit and high stall torque converter. Body was finished off in multiple coats of lacquer paint in a bright blue metallic, similar to my current 2018 Lightning Blue.

Sold it to help with the mortgage on our first new house back in 87, and picked up a used 84 GT 350 as a daily driver.

I really wish I had that car now, maybe I’ll look up the VIN and see where it is.

1991 Mustang 5.0L LX - Titanium Frost CC Metallic, MM Suspension, Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes, Edelbrock heads, polished GT-40 intake, new interior
    2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack, Magneride, Auto, Forged wheels, Active exhaust, Lightning Blue

Was working in the yard and my neighbour, a salesman at the local Ford dealer, brought home an 05 GT.
    He saw me staring at it.....walked over and threw me the keys. I was gone for 2 hours!

Went in next day and ordered a sonic blue one.

A few weeks later the Taurus SHO I was trading in started acting up. It didn’t seem like it would make it until my order came in. So the wife and I went to see what was on the lot. She didn’t like the colour I had chosen. She liked the black, white or yellow. I didn’t want white and there were 4 brand new black cars at the office....so yellow it was. It had 3 km on it when I picked it up, now has over 288,000 kms.

Funny note; after the deal the dealer called and said that there was a big problem with the clutch on the SHO. They said it wasn’t installed correctly. I said interesting, because your service department installed it! I heard nothing else. LOL

Your wife didn't like Sonic Blue? That's a gorgeous colour. The yellow certainly stands out though!
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

I'm on my fourth mustang.
    1969 Mach 1 428 CJ (1987 - 1990)
    1995 GT (2008 - 2012)
    2006 GT (2012 - 2019)
    1966 coupe (2019 to present)

Yes I went 18 years without a mustang. Life got busy.

Buying the 66 was a fun experience. Saw it on AutoTRADER and went to see it on a Friday after seeing a couple of duds.

The couple selling it were in their late 70's and decided it was time for their baby to go. They were so nice. We had drinks in their man cave garage and then the day we picked it up they insisted we stay for some wine and a light snack. The car was polished, full of gas and had a fresh oil change.

It felt like we were buying the car from friends.

Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
    Your wife didn't like Sonic Blue? That's a gorgeous colour. The yellow certainly stands out though!
    Her favourite colour is chrome!

This is a photo of me at 1 year of age sitting in my uncles then brand new 1987 Cobra GT. In the driveway is my dads 1985 LX that I came home from the hospital in which was shortly replaced by an 86 Red LX 5.0 convertible. My uncle went on to modify his GT Cobra for a number of years and all of my early childhood car memories are in that car or my dads red vert. My other uncle also went on to own a 1988 GT T-Top car and my Grandfather would drive me to golf lessons from age 8+ in his fox body Cougar.

Fast forward to the dawn of the 2000s and I am now in high school. My entire grade school life I consumed a steady diet of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Ford magazine, Mustang Monthly, and of course whatever I could find online. At about this time my neighbor was a high up Exec with Ford Canada and was regularly bring home the coolest of cool shit. Talking the 01 Bullitt, 03 Cobra, 05 GT supercar, retro Tbird. However there was one car that burned itself in to my psyche more than the rest which was his sons 2000 Bright Atlantic Blue GT. I recall seeing that car go down the block for the first time and just being blown away by the shape and appearance of it. He eventually started to modify it which only increased its stature in my mind. Eventually while working for Roush it gathered a bunch of Roush goodies including stage 3 fascia, wheels, and blower. To me there was simply no cooler car.

At this time I became of age to drive and eventually obtained my G2 and told my dad I wanted to buy a car. He agreed to help me out to get me in to something newer/more reliable than what I could pay for on my own and I would pay him back. I tried to buy a couple SN95s but was veto'd each time as my insurance premium for the first year exceeded the purchase price. Foxes he ruled out as he knew I would just go full send with it and end up in a tree. Eventually I ended up in a reliable commuter for University which appeased him until I cut the springs and put a body kit on it....

I messed around with sport compact stuff for a few years there after by virtue of financial capabilities until my peer group encouraged me to get into RWD V8. I initially looked for a clean 5.0 but upon finding nothing in my price range but tetanus ended up in a base model 4th Gen Firebird Formula. The car was fast, sounded great, but overall was not enjoyable to drive for anything more than short line blasts. Its reliability was also terrible. I unloaded that car after 2 years of ownership and began to hunt for a New Edge.

On October 8 2009 I traveled from Windsor to Halton Hills to meet up with a gentleman selling a 2000 GT Convertible in Triple Black. Price was right and I was jonesing so the deal took all of 15 minutes to make. I never test drove the car, I took one look at it and said "I'll take it". Drove it home that day after some excitement racing to the MTO 5 minutes before close to get it plated. Been modifying it ever since meeting new people along the way. About a year after purchasing my car I ended up meeting my former neighbor who at the time still had his BAB GT now Cobra swapped. He had the original Roush bumper off his car which was slightly damaged and was getting rid of it to go with a new fascia. I jumped on that in a heartbeat and now have a part of my all time high school dream car, on my current car.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

how I met my present mustang....walked into Bill's office at Heritage Ford,sat down and said lets order me a brand new 2015 Mustang GT/PP and a few months later he introduced me and well the rest is history!!!

2019 Roush Race Red RS3 Mustang GT
    2019 White Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Ltd
    2019 Chevy Equinox AWD

Way back in the spring of 1974 I was newly married. We had a 1973 Datsun 510 coupe with all sorts of mods(even then I was crazy). I hated when my wife drove it, because she didn't let it warm up, and she'd let the clutch chatter and she'd grind the gears, and stomp on the brakes, and perform all sorts of other nasties on that car that bothered the hell out of me.
    So one day I said I was going to buy a car for her. I dragged her all over the city looking at every kind of car there was (except Chevies)and she turned he nose up at everything. Finally, one day, I found what I thought was the perfect car. I gave the guy a $50 deposit on the car(we'd agreed on a price of $1200), and took my wife to see it. She turned it down flat, and the guy refused to give me back my deposit. What was it?
    a 1966 Mustang GT convertible, 289 4 barrel, with 4 speed manual, white top and white interior with a fire engine red body. I almost cried.
    I went out the next day and bought myself a motorcycle to console my grief. Which bike I smacked up a few months later.
    Fast forward 21 years. Summer 1995. Business was terrible. I was forced into bankruptcy, and was reduced to driving a 1992 Dodge Spirit that my in laws sold me, cheap. Somewhere along the line, when both my wife and I were feeling sorry for ourselves, I said to her that things would get better, and guess what, I'm gonna get a brand new Mustang convertible and we will recover.
    3 years later: December 1998. I went to Markville Ford and ordered a brand new 1999 Mustang GT convertible. Tan top, tan interior, burgundy paint. Rhonda bought me chrome aftermarket wheels as a present.
    I put 95,ooo km on it, then ordered a brand new 03 Cobra. Life was good.
    Things change though. After having had 7 Mustangs, a Jaguar F-type wormed it's way into my life. I've had it 2 months and I've done 10,000 km already.

As an afternote: guess what my wife desperately wants, now that I have my dream car? a red 1966 Mustang convertible!!
    1971 Avanti II, 2022 F250 4 dr diesel
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55
    '17 F-250, 96 Mustang GT vert