Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  166
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How I met my Mustang...

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    Way back in the spring of 1974 I was newly married. We had a 1973 Datsun 510 coupe with all sorts of mods(even then I was crazy). I hated when my wife drove it, because she didn't let it warm up, and she'd let the clutch chatter and she'd grind the gears, and stomp on the brakes, and perform all sorts of other nasties on that car that bothered the hell out of me.
    So one day I said I was going to buy a car for her. I dragged her all over the city looking at every kind of car there was (except Chevies)and she turned he nose up at everything. Finally, one day, I found what I thought was the perfect car. I gave the guy a $50 deposit on the car(we'd agreed on a price of $1200), and took my wife to see it. She turned it down flat, and the guy refused to give me back my deposit. What was it?
    a 1966 Mustang GT convertible, 289 4 barrel, with 4 speed manual, white top and white interior with a fire engine red body. I almost cried.
    I went out the next day and bought myself a motorcycle to console my grief. Which bike I smacked up a few months later.
    Fast forward 21 years. Summer 1995. Business was terrible. I was forced into bankruptcy, and was reduced to driving a 1992 Dodge Spirit that my in laws sold me, cheap. Somewhere along the line, when both my wife and I were feeling sorry for ourselves, I said to her that things would get better, and guess what, I'm gonna get a brand new Mustang convertible and we will recover.
    3 years later: December 1998. I went to Markville Ford and ordered a brand new 1999 Mustang GT convertible. Tan top, tan interior, burgundy paint. Rhonda bought me chrome aftermarket wheels as a present.
    I put 95,ooo km on it, then ordered a brand new 03 Cobra. Life was good.
    Things change though. After having had 7 Mustangs, a Jaguar F-type wormed it's way into my life. I've had it 2 months and I've done 10,000 km already.

As an afternote: guess what my wife desperately wants, now that I have my dream car? a red 1966 Mustang convertible!!
    What? Really?! You bought a Jag? Congrats! I guess I haven't been on the forum for a while to hear the great news! Awesome! Great story leading up to the new to you purchase! You set the tone with subtle nuances. Drag our emotions down with despair. Lift us high to meet Jesus with a win for the common man! Woohoo I see a nomination for the Scotiabank Giller Prize! Nominations are open now!

https://scotiabankgillerprize.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    Way back in the spring of 1974 I was newly married. We had a 1973 Datsun 510 coupe with all sorts of mods(even then I was crazy). I hated when my wife drove it, because she didn't let it warm up, and she'd let the clutch chatter and she'd grind the gears, and stomp on the brakes, and perform all sorts of other nasties on that car that bothered the hell out of me.
    So one day I said I was going to buy a car for her. I dragged her all over the city looking at every kind of car there was (except Chevies)and she turned he nose up at everything. Finally, one day, I found what I thought was the perfect car. I gave the guy a $50 deposit on the car(we'd agreed on a price of $1200), and took my wife to see it. She turned it down flat, and the guy refused to give me back my deposit. What was it?
    a 1966 Mustang GT convertible, 289 4 barrel, with 4 speed manual, white top and white interior with a fire engine red body. I almost cried.
    I went out the next day and bought myself a motorcycle to console my grief. Which bike I smacked up a few months later.
    Fast forward 21 years. Summer 1995. Business was terrible. I was forced into bankruptcy, and was reduced to driving a 1992 Dodge Spirit that my in laws sold me, cheap. Somewhere along the line, when both my wife and I were feeling sorry for ourselves, I said to her that things would get better, and guess what, I'm gonna get a brand new Mustang convertible and we will recover.
    3 years later: December 1998. I went to Markville Ford and ordered a brand new 1999 Mustang GT convertible. Tan top, tan interior, burgundy paint. Rhonda bought me chrome aftermarket wheels as a present.
    I put 95,ooo km on it, then ordered a brand new 03 Cobra. Life was good.
    Things change though. After having had 7 Mustangs, a Jaguar F-type wormed it's way into my life. I've had it 2 months and I've done 10,000 km already.

As an afternote: guess what my wife desperately wants, now that I have my dream car? a red 1966 Mustang convertible!!
    Lol, just talked to a buddy today who has a ‘66 vert K-code car he’s planning to sell very soon. Apparently it’s some kinda very rare car.

Always wanted a mustang since I laid eyes on my neighbours blue fox with the chrome steels. I’d been in love ever since.

Fast forward 2017, I’m now 27 and in the middle of divorce. Needed to take my mind off things. Was looking at 99-04 GTs. Always loved those cars for some reason. My cousin a car dealer convinced me to buy a 87 GTA trans am instead. Bought it cheap but car needed work and in my mind it just wasn’t a mustang. Spring of 2018 I dump the GTA. For a year I kept looking at regular GTs and I couldn’t shake that I wanted that car so I kept my eyes and ears open.

Spring 2019 comes round and I start looking hard. I found some clean GTs but must of them were in Ottawa and montreal and the owners wanted a lot for a base GT all original, never could go see the cars fast enough.

Kept looking on AutoTrader here in Toronto. Seen a beautiful 03 Sonic blue Vert all pimped out. Car was 9k out of my price range. Car dealer cousin tells me to low ball offer the guy for a Hail Mary attempt at getting my car. Obviously buddy declines the offer.

2 weeks passed and I get a phone call from the owner of the sonic blue, guy tells me to come look at the car. He fires it up and instantly knew I wanted the car more then I wanted air in my lungs.

I make him the offer, he makes me wait 2 weeks until he finally agrees. Car come with 17 inch cobra rims, 3.73s, stag 2 racing clutch and a V2 blower. Can’t tell you how happy I am to own this car. I’d only be willing to sell for the same car in same colour but Cobra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m not slow, I just like the way your bumper looks

Quote Originally Posted by Hckynut View Post
    Back in grade school we used to walk to my buddies place for lunch everyday, I was probably 14 at the time. His older brother had a '86 GT with T-tops. When he was around he would drive us back to school and just rip on it. I fell in love with it. I said I would own one of these one day.

Move ahead 20 years, after looking all over Ontario for a '85GT T-Top, probably looked at about 15 that I was told were "mint", and after about 2 years of searching ,I found my car 5 mins away from my house. It was in good shape and brought it home the next day.
    Spent the next 2 years tinkering to bring it up to my standards, buying up spare parts and stuff.

In 2010, saw on the other board that a 2003 sonic blue cobra vert came for sale. Always loved the cobra's, and sonic blue was my fav colour. After a bit of number crunching, made my way over to see it.
    As the garage was opening the car started to show itself, in my mind it was already sold. The subsequent test drive just firmed up my mind. Stopped at the ATM on the way back on the test drive and handed over a deposit. 2 days later it was in my driveway.

Nothing was better in my mind than opening up my garage and seeing two of my favorite cars sitting in there, side by side.

For some stupid reason, I convinced myself to put the '85 for sale because when I got the cobra, I never drove it much again. Sold the '85 in 2012, and miss it dearly. But I must admit, the cobra is just one crazy ride.
    You ever sell that car you must tell me first. It’s gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m not slow, I just like the way your bumper looks

Lots of muscle car influences in my area growing up . Best bang for buck was the foxbody, first one was a Capri RS turbo 79 then to an 83 Gt . Spent too much time hanging around this shop on Barbados that was run by 2 Portuguese brothers lol .
    A Tomato can , a sleeper Cougar and HotFords 82 Gt were present in that era
    Marriage , kids , car seat in a fox for 1 yr then the minivans for around 16 yrs . Once my son turned 16 I bought him a Vista Blue V6 to start & then things progressed to a GT & he was also hooked lol . Currently sans Mustang but don’t think it will be long b4 there’s at least one Mustang in the garage.
    Last edited by Screw; 10-14-2019 at 02:54 PM.

Have enjoyed reading everyone else's stories!!

Here's mine:

My dad and his brothers were all into muscle cars, so I was destined to fall in love with them. My dad had a 70 Torino GT....351 Cleveland, 4 Barrel, with a Hurst 4 spd. on the floor and his brothers late 60's early 70's mustangs...including Mach and Boss 302 and....a Pantera! I was too young to drive any of them, though I did get a ride from Oshawa to Union station in the Pantera. That was very cool.

As a teenager I wanted an 80's Mustang LX 5.0...so bad. Got to drive my parents friends Mustang Pace Car....and that's the closest I got. Fast forward to me getting married and needing a 4 door sedan. I managed to convince my wife to upgrade from our little 88 Ford Tempo to a used 89 Taurus SHO (in 95). My first peformance car. And man it didn't disappoint. What a sleeper. Surprised a few Mustangs....and other makes with it.

In 2000 I finally got my chance to own my first Mustang....a 99 GT Coupe. From there I went to a 99 35th Anniversary Vert (my first convertible...and I loved it), Then I fell in love with the 03/04 Mach 1's...and bought a low mile 03 Azure Blue beauty from a Mercedes Benz dealer on the east coast of all places! Bought the car based just on the pictures on Autotrader and had it shipped to me. I was fortunate to have a friend not far from the dealer....go and see it to confirm it was a great ride....and it was. Only thing I did was put lowering springs and a tune on it.

Then....I got the need for speed and was bitten by the Cobra bug. Found a beautiful, modified 04 Oxford White Vert with less than 50K kms. on it. Enjoyed the car briefly....before a piston wrist pin broke. My first bad experience with a Mustang. Considered getting the motor fixed, but with not knowing how much that might end up costing, decided to cut my losses and sold the car for a song to Rich-C as he had the time, space and inclination to replace the motor.

It wasn't long before I got the itch again for another Mustang though and now the new 2012 Boss 302 was out. Found an older gentlemen in Ajax with a Race Red one for sale and only 4400 kms. on it. Got a good deal on it and bought it. This car was incredible. The sound with the side dumps and rear exhaust, the handling and the cool track key made it very special. So different from the previous generations I'd driven. Took it to Mosport 3 yrs. in a row for Mustangs @ Mosport and it was amazing. It remains my favorite....so far.

Finally, decided it was time to try the resurected Shelby GT500. Went on the hunt in the early summer of 2018 and after taking both a Vert and a Coupe out, I found my 08 GT500 at a dealer in Guelph. Ironically....I had test driven a red 07 coupe in the same area earlier. Car was originally sold in Arizona, then purchased by Legendary Motorcar in Milton, who sold it in trade for a 70 Boss 302, where the new owner had it for almost 10 yrs. He decided it was time to move on and traded it in to a local dealer in Guelph and pick up an RV! Have owned it now since Aug. 2018. Only had a little over 23K Kms. on it. Has a lot of giddy up, most of all the Mustangs I've owned and hearing the whine of the SC puts a smile ear to ear on my face every time. Told my wife this is my last Mustang....unless I win the lottery, in which case a 67/68 GT500 will find its way into my garage.
    Last edited by Gr8Stang; 10-14-2019 at 03:30 PM.

....waiting for Newbs’s story

TTT

In the beginning, there was a ‘78 T-bird. My first car, loved it, 302, factory 8-track. Next car was an ‘83 Celica. So much fun, RWD, 5-speed, nimble. But I always thought if I could marry those two cars the result would be perfect.

Finally, in 2000, I got myself a ‘90 Mustang LX notch. Drove it and worked on it for several years, but while I was doing an axle swap and staring at all the rust under the car I realized this was never going to be the car I wanted.

That’s when a red ‘94 GT came up for sale on the GTAMC. I bought the car from a member named Stampede. From there, I transferred all the mods I did on the ‘90, onto my new ‘94, and ditched the AODE for a T5. And after my first track day at TMP I knew what direction I wanted to take the car. I learned a lot on my first Mustang, but I never really had a plan. And, well, here I am, years later, still slowly working on it. Eventually, I will get that HCI originally destined for the ‘90 installed onto the ‘94.
    -Don____________

So.. like a lot of us, got my first 5.0 (1990 LX hatch) when i was 17 as my first car. Had that car for 10 years...modified the hell out of it. When i was 27, had a bad night and wrecked the car. I was devastated! I couldnt afford another at the time and thought the era was over. Years later I still missed owning a mustang so I decided to get another. I looked for a couple years as my budget was LOW. One day I went to Port Union to see a 1990 GT that was being sold for $1200 because the owner was moving to Boston for work. All I knew is that it was a 1 owner, HIGH kms car that had "some suspension mods". When I got to see the car in person, it looked like your standard GT, red, and in ROUGH shape. It had 390,000kms!!! I was crawling all over the car, underneath I noticed a red k member brace with a "DECH" plate welded on!! What was this!? I asked myself!!... I quickly checked the rear... GRABBERS, DECH springs AND a DECH PHB...WTF!? I asked...was this a DECH car?! The owner said after he bought it brand new...a few years later in 1993 he brought the car to DECH and had all the suspension installed. What a find i thought!! After some back and forth I drove the car home later that night for $800 bones!!! Since then its been completely restored.. changed the colour, added the DECH skirt kit and wing blah blah blah. I had kept in contact with the original owner for a few years after, but, when I showed him pics of the complete teardown, colour change, interior change and all the rest, He got super pissed off and cut off contact!! haha...he hated the changes...said I "ruined his car!" and I never talked to him again...hahaha..! Ive had the car 8 years now and LOVE every bit of it!...sorry buddy!