Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wanting to be new to the mustang world... opinions please

stormin

wanting to be new to the mustang world... opinions please

Hello everybody

My dad and I would like to be mustang owners...we've mostly owned gm vehicles so are not sooooo up to speed on the newer stangs.. and was looking for help or opinions or what we might be looking for... or what to stay away from ?
    So... certain years... options.. problems.
    We are thinking something from about 2004 and newer?

Thank you all

A and N

start and end your search here ...

http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/for...367-2003-Mach1

99-04 were a nice step up from the fox (79-93) in terms of creature comforts - they rode better, more comfortable, better AC, better sound systems, that sort of stuff - but they still have some raw-ness to them. Some cannot leave the 5.0L 302 as it is an awesome engine and so a lot of Mustang guys never made the move to the newer 4.6L modular motors. The 01 Cobra and 01 Bullit, and Mach1 (03-04) had the 4v heads that flowed better for some more top end power vs the GTs. 01 and 03/04 Cobras have the IRS rear end suspension that rides awesome. 03-04 Cobras have the supercharger so the most power of the 99-04 body style by far.

05-10 lack something aesthetically for me, I've just never been a fan. They also ride a bit too nice for my liking. Something about a hobby car to me should be a bit noisy, and rough. It should remind you that you are in a muscle car that still may want to bitch slap you if you're not careful. The 05+ cars are just too refined to be a toy IMO. They ride nicer than most daily drivers. If that is what you are after, you'll like them. The 11-14 cars are the best bet since they have the new 5.0L motor that is pretty amazing. Anything with a Shelby badge will be a monster in the power department.

Not too much to watch out for. The old wives tale that says a car turns to shit after 100,000kms is wrong. A well treated and maintained v8 mustang can run forever. Lots of foxes out there with well over 200,000kms that are worth every penny. Some pre-94 cars were prone to rusting or would have torn up torque boxes but that isn't much of an issue with the newer cars.
    BECAUSE RACECAR

Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

Mustangs are like ice cream, lots of different flavours out there. Classics, IIs, Foxes, SN95, New Edge, early retro S197, later S197 with Coyote power, and the new 2015. Along with the various body styles are a host trim levels and engine options. Come to one of our local events and you will be able to see a wide variety Mustangs and talk to their owners. Enjoy the search.

Welcome!

Are you guys looking for a project or something that is ready to go?

Can't go wrong with a cheap fox (cheap to buy and insure) and a blast to drive. Watch for rust.. shock towers should be the first place you look. In stock form they are slow but can be built to be monsters. Good luck.
    '88 LX

There's a mustang for everyone. You just need to know what you want from it. Project, trouble free cruiser, old school, supercharged monster, straight line, corner carver.....etc. The best way to decide is to come out to an event and talk to other members. Talking about our cars is what we do best around here.

Welcome

Your journey starts soon as you figure out what best suits your wants n budget.

stormin
    Good morning everybody
    Thank you all for the great responses.. the welcomes...and a lot of great information.
    I think we are definitely not looking for a project. We are looking for something more "late model".
    We are in no rush, and know that at some point the right car will show and a deal will be made. I think we just wanted to know if there were common problems with certain models/engines... as there is with other makes and models.
    I think I got a lot of what I needed in your responses and yes... attending some events and talking to knowledgeable owners is a great idea.

thank you again.

drive safe

A and N

DMitch
    I Just bought an 05 gt on Saturday...signed on here today...I met a member while out buying my car and he was informative and help full and gave me a card for this site...sorry I forget your name but thanks again for the help.I have been a an old school mopar muscle guy for years and now its time for a change and some modern muscle.