Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  13
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: economy changing your plans?

stangstevers
    I used to be like that... Went from "yuck, apple with a bruise" to "meh I'll cut out the bruised part" to "fuck it... eat it". We juice our fruits/vegs when they don't look so good though, makes great juice.

Mustang Occasionally
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF View Post
    can't tell if that's sarcasm
    Oh, it was sarcasm alright...

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Screw View Post
    It's ok guys leave the nicked ones for us family of 5 to feed , we slice em up toss em in salads

Must be more nutrients in your lacquered ones lol
    Just more stuff in them and mutations to grow and look consistent. Ever look at the organic ones? They certainly don't look like the bright, shiny, perfectly shaped ones from the "regular" section.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGBIRD View Post
    We drive out to a place in Wicklow, ON ,Knights Apples, it's a whole sale place where they do grading and storage & buy bushels of apples , C grade, as my dog eats them, nothing wrong with them , they are just not perfect for the grocery store , 99 % of them are irregular skins etc, just not perfectly round, depending on the apple type , 1/2 bushel of Courtland are $10 -12 , full bushel of Mac's are $22 , even the "A" perfect ones are $35 for a full bushel, & they keep perfect in my garage ! & the quality is much better than grocery store one that have been shipped from god only know where and banged around ! it just a nice cruise about an hour outside of Ajax !

Back in November we were talking to a B&B owner in the Niagara region and they were complaining about all the good fruit that gets rejected and ends up going to the dump/landfill by the truckload (even though they're perfectly fine) - with their help we're trying to get something going where it can get re-directed to groups in Caledon that can use it as part of their services/community effort to feed people who need help, etc., or donate it to local groups that can use it in fundraising efforts. Wifey has sourced a couple commercial fridges/freezers and kitchens in Caledon (NFP based) to use for this.

Quote Originally Posted by BAB CObra View Post
    yea.. but too bad i pay tax here in canada..
    doesnt just work that way..
    basically if you are paid 100k USD yes you make 140k canadian..
    but when its tax time gov't makes up some exchange rate.. and looks to see if you paid enough.. usually you have to dump rrsp to balance out.
    You shouldn't be paying any more Canadian tax now that the exchange rate is big. Even though you pay in Canada on the higher amount, don't forget you get the foreign tax credit to offset it; based on US $ also converted to Canadian (including the FICA and Medicare contributions on your W2). Also any contributions to a 401K are now deductible on your Canadian return (new in the last 3 or 4 years).

In times when exchange is high, most of my clients only have to fork out the Health Tax. Usually the high amount of $750. I assume you have an accountant helping you out with your cross border stuff. If not, you might want to have one check the your returns out; they are quite complex.

These apples I speak of are neither nicked or bruised etc, some the stem is not centered, or they are not perfectly round, etc, their C grade apples are nicer than some of the ones I see in the store, they also sell A grade if so interested, but to me just not worth the extra dough, & too us it worth the drive, we are always out cruising out that way anyways so why not stop in to a place that has the freshest apples you can find , from the tree to you !

FYI ~Apples that fall on the ground are not allowed to be used for anything except left to rot, not even allow to be used as feed for animals , that's the LAW, we go to allot of orchards in the summer and there are ton and tons of apples that drop or get knocked off by birds wind etc.
    ~REMEMBER, " life in prison" doesn't mean SHIT to a senior citizen ~ http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/for...4&type=profile

^^^i used to work for an orchard. Those are called 'grounders', and they most definitely get used. They end up in the juice plant.
    -Don____________

i don't eat fruit.. maybe a peach now and then.
    92 rcsb ftw

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
    You shouldn't be paying any more Canadian tax now that the exchange rate is big. Even though you pay in Canada on the higher amount, don't forget you get the foreign tax credit to offset it; based on US $ also converted to Canadian (including the FICA and Medicare contributions on your W2). Also any contributions to a 401K are now deductible on your Canadian return (new in the last 3 or 4 years).

In times when exchange is high, most of my clients only have to fork out the Health Tax. Usually the high amount of $750. I assume you have an accountant helping you out with your cross border stuff. If not, you might want to have one check the your returns out; they are quite complex.
    I do have someone but you still have to put in your RRSP to offset it with higher exchange.
    the foreign tax does help... but USA taxes less than canada with the exchange.. either way usually i have only paid the $750.. but this year is the first year that the USD has been significantly higher...
    good thing is i have 2 write offs for dependants.

Quote Originally Posted by twister View Post
    i don't eat fruit.. maybe a peach now and then.
    LMAO Dave.