Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chev hotrod question?

speedfreak

Chev hotrod question?

Now that the Cobra is gone I will be bringing my dads 52 chev business mans coupe to my house and will be starting on getting it to hotrod status and on the road. but I don't know where to look for info so before I search the net thought that id ask if anyone here has any info or leads as where to look? The car is currently all original 30 thousand mile car and still rocking a 6 volt system, id like to remedy that with upgrading to 12 volt and modern drive train brakes and suspension. I have been told to cut off the front frame and mate in an s10 or Camaro frame to accept the more modern suspension n brakes iv been told to just keep the frame and weld in new engine mounts. anyway just trying to figure a path and where to look for info n such thanks Dave

My Uncle just did all this with a '33 Buick. He removed the original drivetrain, boxed in the original frame, bought a Mustang II front suspension components from Hortons Hotrods (http://www.horton.on.ca/) in Milton. Put in a ford 9" rearend out of an old cougar, bought a Crate GM 454 engine and a used 700R4 trans. Bought a painless wiring solutions wiring kit for it and got to work. Once he had the frame ready to go he dropped in the motor to measure for engine mounts and then built his own.
    "Without Warning, Without Conscience"

My brother Tony works on the counter at Hortons. He would definitely be able to give you some good suggestions on which way to go with the chassis on that car. They have access to a crazy amount of product lines, and are Canadian distributors for many of the bigger names.

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

Camaro or Nova clip, epic improvement over stock. Ross and I built the truck pictured below. It started off life as a stand up RH drive US postal truck with a flat head 6 and three speed trans. When it arrived, had been sitting in an Oregon wrecking yard for 25 or 30 years.
    We added a 70's Nova front clip, 10 bolt rear, disc / drum power brake combo and converted to left hand sit down drive powered by a warmed over small block with an auto trans. Truck is comfortable to drive at speed in spite of it's short wheel base and tall center of gravity. Electrics, later model single wire 12v alt and all updated wiring. Owner we built it for drove for a year or so before selling to Steam Whistle. They've been delivering beer to special events for some years now.

^^ so cool ,

No idea what your budget is but this would be an epic place to start.
    http://www.artmorrison.com/49-54chev.php

I have no idea what the cost is but check out this.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QEZpnBAilCY

Good luck on the build!
    I soooooo wanted to hot rod my father's '36 Chrysler, measured up the garage and everything. Chickened out on the account of the enormous amount of work required. When I'm retired, I'll take on a project.

Some good resources on the HAMB.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

....and where are the pics?
    -Don____________

Another popular, drives minty good front end being used these days comes from the later model Crown Vic / Grand Marquis. Mod motor n auto trans makes for a super nice driver combo and looks impressive when you pop the bonnet.
    What ever you choose, do your home work x 10. Some of the kits offered are at best a step sideways, many don't even drive as well as what you already have. We've recently had two other classic rides come our way that had been built with "the latest n greatest in front and brakes". Neither one drives / steers worth a darn nor do they stop. On each, will require going back to square one before moving forward.
    My best advice, map out a plan, set a budget and move forward with the complete picture in mind before taking step one.
    Enjoy.

speedfreak
    Thank very much everyone for the info the car comes home with me in spring so as of now im starting my research. I hope to figure out which route to go so i can start assembling parts. Leaning strongly toward an LS 5.3 and auto from a truck and keep it pretty stock as it will be a cruiser for my dad and i.