Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil change intervals.

Yea, was gonna say. Most trucks display engine hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Should be based on engine hours.
    Alas, auto manufacturers do not provide hour meters
    Also needs to incorporate driving cycle and temperatures reached. Try running it cold and rich exclusively and no oil will last what it can. Big portion of the mfr suggestions is based on marketing and "service included" for a set amount. The sheeple like to save a penny everywhere, even if its idiotic.

Having said that, the tolerances may be closer, but the real advancement is in computer controlled fuel systems, so that the motor is not run pig rich, unles something is wrong. This will give oil a better lifespan, as well as fuel mileage. One area I will say EFI beats carburation, lol

However, extra oil changes are cheap compared to any single engine event that requires more than pulling valve covers off. My old 5.4 used to show sludge inside the oil cap, even running FORD synthetic and driving mostly on the highway with longer trips and a 3.73 gear. Water in the oil causes sludge to form, usually from not being burned off by inadequate oil temps - which need to be above 100*C or 212*F to "burn off" the water. This is a concern on any oil, and can come about by overcooling and not running a high enough water temp.

Not many on here have accurate engine oil temp gages - a must have IMO. Heat generated by the combustion process is moved by the oil, (after the exhaust stream and coolant to radiator) throughout the block, passages and sump. The oil is directly in contact with the hottest parts of the motor, so it lubricates AND moves heat.

Paul Silva recommends 1000 - 1500 km intervals with "normal" driving, 1000 km oil and filter changes during "spirited" habits; EFI or carb; with 20w50 Castrol (or 10/40) if you're not going to beat on it.

5 L of 20W50 Castrol goes on sales for $4/liter at Can Tire all the time. Ford Racing Oil filter is $13. 8 L of oil plus filter costs me less than $50 every time I do it; figure an hour of time if I'm wrenching anyways. 5 x per season. Would need to do one or two anyways, taking storage into account.

So an extra $150 and 3 hrs per year to protect a motor that cost more than $ 10 grand, AND gets beaten hard.

Your mileage may vary; but not many late model stock engines gonna be replaced for less than 5k (incl labour). Like buying insurance for the living, lol

Truck get Ford synth oil plus filter every 5000 km.

I am a huge believer in 5,000 Km oil changes especially for some Ford motors like the 4.6L, 5.4L and 3.5 Ecoboost. The VCT and timing systems do not agree with extended oil change intervals. The oil tech is there, I have absolutely no problem telling people that an oil like Amsoil Signature Series can go up to 40,000 KM on one interval.

Fortunately and unfortunately the customers that I have running Signature Series to the max OCI have not had to remove a valve cover or anything yet so none of my customers have taken pics of the inside of their engines. Gratefully I talked to other dealers who have had customers open up an engine after using SS for extended OCIs.

This is a 2002 Ford Focus ZX5 using Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20 with Amsoil EAO34 Filter. This customer has been using SS since 69,000 miles (110,400 KM) Valve cover gasket needed to be changed at about 136,000 miles (217,600 KM). This customer did the oil changes once a year which ended up being around 12,500 miles (20,000 KM). Not the greatest pictures but they help.

As you can see there are no deposits or sludge.

I am waiting on another dealer to get me some pictures of their results from their Town & Country.
    Ryan Matheson
    Matheson Motorsports
    Call/ Text: (416)688-7670

Amsoil T1-Certified Independent Dealer
    Amsoil Home Page

Impressive results, thanks for posting Ryan.

I followed the oil change schedule on my VW Diesel exactly. 16000 km oil changes. Engine never burned a drop of oil and was spotless inside. No sludge. Obviously black but that's a diesel thing not an oil thing. Car had 310,000 kms. still going strong with a new owner. I say that oil change intervals and oil condition a hugely dependent on your driving habits. Our cars never go for a short drive. Much of it highway. If you commute 5 miles through the city to work everyday you need to change your oil more.

Edit: I did drive a pos corolla to work and back for a year and never changed the oil. I did add some used oil out of my pickup a few times. It had over 300k on it when I bought it and had nearly 360 when I sold it for $100 more than I paid for it lol

I have always done 5000 km's or 3 months, which ever comes first. This truck has to last me so I'll continue to do the same thing, 3-4 oil changes a year.. no biggie. I also sit in traffic 5/7 days of the week.

The fox should probably get fresh oil more often, right now it gets 3-4 oil changes from May-October... maybe 2000 km's a year. Rotella is cheap
    '88 LX

01CobraVert
    Quote Originally Posted by bluetoy View Post
    I followed the oil change schedule on my VW Diesel exactly. 16000 km oil changes. Engine never burned a drop of oil and was spotless inside. No sludge. Obviously black but that's a diesel thing not an oil thing. Car had 310,000 kms. still going strong with a new owner. I say that oil change intervals and oil condition a hugely dependent on your driving habits. Our cars never go for a short drive. Much of it highway. If you commute 5 miles through the city to work everyday you need to change your oil
    Edit: I did drive a pos corolla to work and back for a year and never changed the oil. I did add some used oil out of my pickup a few times. It had over 300k on it when I bought it and had nearly 360 when I sold it for $100 more than I paid for it lol
    VW TDI 30 K between change

Quote Originally Posted by 01CobraVert View Post
    VW TDI 30 K between change
    Really? because my 05 passat tdi was 16000 kms by the owners manual and my 2012 passat tdi is also 16000 kms by the manual.

every 5,000 like clock work

i deliver 4 or 5 engines a day and transmissions and the # 1 issue is lack of maintenance...
    92 rcsb ftw

I changed the oil on my truck with less than 5000km just because it had been 7 months already and changing weather conditions, condensation, etc.

The real thing to change more often is your rear diff fluid. In Fords they go BLACK inside a year. In the Aviator I changed the rear diff several times, once my F-I-L started driving it, by the second year, the ring and pinion snapped. $1500 for the pleasure.