Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil change intervals.

Oil change intervals.

I know I know, beaten to death but here goes another one. Pics are from an '02 Chevy Trailblazer sporting a straight 6. Currently mileage is approaching 550,000kms, been run on 10w30 full syn since new, oil n filter changes every 5000km's. Engine has never been torn down, uses less than a ltr between oil changes and hauls 1500+ pounds of tools around daily. Cover was only off to replace gasket.
    He's seeing similar service life out of both diffs, transfer case and transmission. No work on them beyond one front axle seal, yes all receive regular oil changes as well.
    Decided to post after speaking with another club member that works in a brand X dealership. Conversation drifted over to the ever increasing number of sludged engines he's working on where the suggested interval is 12,000kms. Seeing pretty much the same thing here. For sure if you don't keep your rides till they reach any kind of serious km's it'll more likely than not be fine, keep it longer and the money saved doing less oil changes may very well bite you in the butt.
    (what may look like sludge in the pics is actually just the color of the oil itself, was due for a change when it came in).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ryan want to chime in on this, I just read of another guy using signature series doing some crazy interval
    I personally like more frequent as it makes me feel safer

Would be really cool to see inside an engine run on long interval oil (like Amsoil), in a getting on in years / higher mileage daily driver like this one. I'd feel pretty strongly, given Amsoil's reputation, more likely than not it would do the same. No secret that I feel just as strongly about using the correct oil grade for the given application, yes in spite of what the factory suggests.
    Coolest part about this, these engines are generally thought to be unreliable, especially once they hit higher mileage. While this one see's good service intervals, it's also been his daily driven work horse.

Ram dealer was telling me the oil change interval on my new truck is something like 12mnth 16,000kms or something. That seems crazy to me, don't wanna be the guy who questions the factory engineers and techs, but I'm thinking I still might do mine something like 6 months/8000km since I plan to keep the truck 10 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

My train of thought, engines are expensive and oil is relatively cheap. Since I typically keep my vehicles into higher kms, will stick with 3 months and 5000kms.

Mustang Occasionally
    In 2003, my Mini Cooper S' intervals were crazy long. Synthetic and changes at the dealer were $120.

My last few trucks I go between 8-10000. I'm mostly highway. Even when I take it in there's over 30% remaining on the oil life indicator.

I'm not a mechanic or an engineer, but based on what I've read, with today's vehicles, close tolerance design and new technology PLUS modern oils, means 5000km oil changes are really something that people only do because it's what they've known. But really, it's no longer necessary, according to manufacturers and even dealer service dept's.

Heavy duty use (towing, track days, etc) is a different deal, imo.

70XR7
    Never seen inside an inline 6 before. Very cool.

That said, i'm to be picking up my new ride within the next day or so, so i'm going to be quite diligent with its oil changes from the start. 5000km may not seem like much, but i'd be happy to reach the half-mil mark without any more than wear and tear issues.

I change the Mustang every 5000km. Synthetic. 5W-50 Mobil1 or recently 10W40 Amsoil.

The focus goes longer more like 8000km also synthetic. I believe it gets 10W30. But it's gently drivin and all highway. Put nearly 60,000 on it in a year!!!

The FJ barely gets drivin right now so it'll need a change just based on time. But it normally goes 5000-8000 on synthetic as well.
    Follow me on Instagram @ray721_14gt for car pics and general shenanigans

Because Rayscar!!!!

Should be based on engine hours.
    Alas, auto manufacturers do not provide hour meters
    -Don____________

Some newer trucks have that option built into the drivers information center.