Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anyone ever remove/install steering column?

mikewashere

Anyone ever remove/install steering column?

Like the title states.... Having trouble getting the u-joint to fit over the steering shaft that goes to the steering rack.

Any trick to it? Just doesn't want to fit on it. Almost like its the wrong size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikewashere

I had a lot of trouble with that also when I replaced the steering shaft in my car. It's an awkward position and hard to gets your hands up there properly to get a grip on it. I was this close to removing the front seat to get a better position, but managed to get it started, then pushed all the way.
    -Don____________

mikewashere
    I feel better knowing I'm not alone on this, lol.

I got a tip from a pro afterwards: disconnect the shaft at the steering rack and attach the shaft under the dash first. Then make the connection to the steering rack. Easier to extend the shaft at that end versus trying to do it under the dash.
    -Don____________

mikewashere
    That was actually my plan for tomorrow, I realized after getting under there 5-10 times there has to be another way. lol thanks buddy!

Usually they only go on in one position, you should never have to force it on, if you need to it's likely not right. Also, the bolt should be completely removed before fitting it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    I got a tip from a pro afterwards: disconnect the shaft at the steering rack and attach the shaft under the dash first. Then make the connection to the steering rack. Easier to extend the shaft at that end versus trying to do it under the dash.
    +1 on the above.
    If your still having difficulty, seat comes out pretty quick n easy, makes life under the dash a whole lot more pleasant.
    Yes please on remove bolt fully.

mikewashere
    Got er all sorted out. Tips above were the trick. Thanks guys