Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dorman vs Ford (Racing) PI Intake

Dorman vs Ford (Racing) PI Intake

So back in 2008 when I bought my car it had the factory plastic crossover intake, which inevitably broke and spewed coolant everywhere. I replaced it with a Jobber Dorman unit because it was available to me and cheap. Prior to swapping intakes the car was exhaust, intake only and ran 13.9. After swapping intakes it always felt a little low on power to me, and everyone told me this was in my head, and said the two wouldnt make a difference.

Well after swapping intakes, adding 4.10 gears, plenum and tb, and tune, the car wouldnt faster than a 13.9 even under same conditions with same 60ft.

Finally after doing a whack load of other mods the intake situation still bugged me so finally despite being told I am wasting money, I swapped from my Dorman to the Ford Racing PI intake (OEM replacement)

Take a look at the differences:

Dorman on Left vs Ford on Right

Looks different enough to matter to me. And for record the intake from Dorman was the "PI Replacement" intake meant for 99+ mustangs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

After yet another Dorman part failure last week (oil cooler hose blew off at it's factory crimp after 6 weeks use), we will no longer be installing anything they make. Going back to OE or best quality aftermarket only. Instances of problems with their stuff (in our experience) is at 80%+.

^wow, only ever had an issue with ball joints failing prematurely, anything else I've used has been good fit and quality from them.

First oil cooler hose blew off a Chevy 5.7 van, this time a 4.3 Jimmy, seat heater came with pinning mixed up, heat went to infinity and should have burnt the truck to the ground, Blazer 4wd actuator lasted a short time before crapping out..............and the list goes on.

Pretty sure the parts are all made in china, bought in bulk and rebranded as dorman and several other budget brands.

Certainly look to be, similar results with a pair of window regulators.

I have had brand new Dorman parts not work.. like sensors and other various stuff.. oem only way to go. we test our shit vigorously

Fit was honestly fine, the integrated gaskets were actually hiding an issue with one of the heads where it had pitted near a water passage. It leaked with oem gasket and manifold until I had it filled. Performance was more the motivator here.

On water passages with pits like that, I clean as much as possible, smear the affected area with just enough silicone to fill the pits, then install gaskets before silicone has cured. On deeper ones, clean then fill voids with JB weld, once cured, smooth with a file n sandpaper, install as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    On water passages with pits like that, I clean as much as possible, smear the affected area with just enough silicone to fill the pits, then install gaskets before silicone has cured. On deeper ones, clean then fill voids with JB weld, once cured, smooth with a file n sandpaper, install as usual.
    We did the latter with JB, worked fine. Good tip on the silicone and gasket trick though, keep that one in the bank.