Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N/A 4.6L 3 valves with 3.73 gears...

N/A 4.6L 3 valves with 3.73 gears...

I would like to hear from those with the above noted combo. Are you happy with this ratio, How does it drive, what is the pull like in 3rd gear. If you've had any track (road course) time with this combo, I'd really like to hear about that as well.

Thanks
    Stephen

On your door tag, Axle code CD is for 3.55 and CG is for 3.31

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    On your door tag, Axle code CD is for 3.55 and CG is for 3.31
    CD 3.55 in the axle currently.

Not much seat time but did drive a friends 05 with a CAI and 3:73 gears. Dyno sheets say my 3V with CAI and an X pipe makes a bit more power but his did feel "lighter" off the line and seemed to rev more freely.

We've never lined them up and to honest I've been avoiding it because I hate to loose.

I need boost.

Boomer605
    I've got a '10 with 3.73's a C&L CAI and FR500 axle backs and love it. It is an auto not a stick and has nice pull off the line. It's fine on the highway, still quite comfortable. For me it was a big improvement since I jumped from 3.31 (auto) to 3.73 and the tune really improved throttle tip in and response.

I have an 07 with Roush CAI, hotrod cams, ford racing mufflers and a mail order tune. It's an auto and I have 4.10 gears. It runs 2500 rpm at 114 kph. I think that's fine. Love the 4.10's wouldn't go any other gear. I jumped from 3.31's to the 4.10's

Stephen, my 07 was switched to 3.73 when Rob owned it. Perfect compromise gear for a mildly modded manual 4.6 S197 I think. 6000 in 4th at the end of the straight at Mosport, and the gearing is good most corner on the tracks I've visited ... not too high for one gear or too low for the next as some axle ratios end up doing. Pulls nice on the street, and not revving the whee out of it cruising at 115-120 km/h. Mine was originally a 3.55 car same as yours.

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

Sorry to hijack but does anyone have gear thoughts for a boosted 3V?

Pretty sure 4.10s would make 1st useless so wondering if going to 3.73 is the right move from 3.55 or stay stock.

All I can tell you, my own car is happy everywhere with 373's.

Tire/wheel width/height also plays a factor in gearing and overall traction. If you have very big/wide wheels and can afford quality tires i bet 4.10s would be more fun for bolt on build that spends most of the time on the street.

Im Happy with my 3.73 though i will say with a mild bolt on build it doesnt do anything especially good or bad. Acceleration is ok. Highway rpm is ok. Not "great" though. If i had more power i would probably think the extra traction is great vs 4.10 on a "average" tire.

if i had any less power i would want 4.10s.

Anybody have 3.90? I dont think its too common but i read a guy in the states had it and really like it. Cant make much difference but if i was about to buy and had no plans of ever boosting i would look into that ratio if it is available.

Fyi 3.73s also have common complaints about whining. I dont notice it much but others do. From what i recall other people mentioning in my post on s197 forum about the whining most shops do not install 3.73 properly so they whine.