Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (Possible) HID Glare Solution

(Possible) HID Glare Solution

Sorry for the incomplete thread title I accidentally elbowed my keyboard. Mods if you can Name it to "(Possible) HID Glare solution"

I have 2 ballasts just collecting dust so I thought of figuring out if there could be a simple cheap solution in not blinding oncoming traffic. Little did I know that my innocent foglight HIDs were blinding the crap out of everyone...I thought I could position them as low as possible but the reflector was scattering the beam.

After some very quick research I found a guy on you tube that created a anti glare shield for the xenon HID bulb. I'm gonna try this out but I'll need to grab a pair of aftermarket headlights incase I screw up royally. Not sure if this can be done for the 800 series foglight xenon bulb since it is quite a tight fit. Will keep everyone posted.

HID shield.jpg

Good Idea. I doubt 99% of all people who put HID bulbs in non HID housing give a crap about how much glare they produce. After all it is Illegal to put HID's in regular housings in the first place.

Interesting that you won't consider LED lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrape View Post
    Interesting that you won't consider LED lighting.
    I've read that the LEDs throw light all over the place like hids and ultimately don't even illuminate as well as standard halogens.

Maybe things changed over the few months since I checked info on it. If you have any good links I wouldn't mind looking into it.

Quote Originally Posted by bluetoy View Post
    Good Idea. I doubt 99% of all people who put HID bulbs in non HID housing give a crap about how much glare they produce. After all it is Illegal to put HID's in regular housings in the first place.
    It's illegal because the bulb is not properly shielded or designed to be placed in the reflectors. Had they properly shielded and made it fit correctly it would scatter less light and provide proper illumination. This is my thoughts. Also I hate those blue hids I prefer the soft white or even close to the halogen hue but with greater visibility.

I do not want to be that asshole that blinds everyone and I have been completely blinded before and it was pretty scary.

Hope this modification fixes the glare and legalizes it

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

TheMustangShow
    Quote Originally Posted by bluetoy View Post
    +1

The really bright lights are fuckin' annoying and totally unnecessary in the GTA and places with street lights.

Unless you live in the Hinterland, where it actually gets dark, I don't know why you would need these really bright lights?

Those blue and pink lights are a total FAIL too.

Im willing to bet the reflector cone melts even faster then all the other ones I've seen with that idea

SteveEH
    PnP HIDs and LEDs glare like no tomorrow, and DO NOT provide any more light then a regular halogen, you are actually decreasing visibility because you are not focusing where you need to be, which is down the road, instead of where all the light is, directly in front of the car. To put it in short, our eyes will focus on light, it's just human nature, why do you think, when driving on a back road and a car approaches, all you see is headlights? That's because that is where our eyes are focusing. Now imagine driving down that same road and meeting someone with glaring headlights, how much worse that is? Now imagine looking into the sun, know that feeling when you suddenly can't see for a few seconds? That's how it feels approaching PnP HIDs and PnP LEDs. If you want to see better in ANY vehicle, I recommend quality halogen bulbs, like Phillips Vision series, including "Vision", "Vision Plus", and "X-treme Vision". Now these can be costly, but these are some of the best bulbs available for the best lighting output. If you STILL feel like you cannot see on the road, I highly recommend a HID Projector Retrofit. Any other questions, feel free to PM me since I am hardly on this forum, but might check in a bit here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveEH View Post
    PnP HIDs and LEDs glare like no tomorrow, and DO NOT provide any more light then a regular halogen, you are actually decreasing visibility because you are not focusing where you need to be, which is down the road, instead of where all the light is, directly in front of the car. To put it in short, our eyes will focus on light, it's just human nature, why do you think, when driving on a back road and a car approaches, all you see is headlights? That's because that is where our eyes are focusing. Now imagine driving down that same road and meeting someone with glaring headlights, how much worse that is? Now imagine looking into the sun, know that feeling when you suddenly can't see for a few seconds? That's how it feels approaching PnP HIDs and PnP LEDs. If you want to see better in ANY vehicle, I recommend quality halogen bulbs, like Phillips Vision series, including "Vision", "Vision Plus", and "X-treme Vision". Now these can be costly, but these are some of the best bulbs available for the best lighting output. If you STILL feel like you cannot see on the road, I highly recommend a HID Projector Retrofit. Any other questions, feel free to PM me since I am hardly on this forum, but might check in a bit here and there.
    Good expansion. That's why I put them at the time in my fog lights so I can at least turn it off in the city. I drive quite a bit from Woodstock and Orangeville. Some of the country roads have zero lighting. Just wanted a solution to reduce glare without spending 700

SteveEH
    Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    Good expansion. That's why I put them at the time in my fog lights so I can at least turn it off in the city. I drive quite a bit from Woodstock and Orangeville. Some of the country roads have zero lighting. Just wanted a solution to reduce glare without spending 700

The best option to not blinding anybody even on back roads, is to use your high beams. Believe me, I had the 13/14 Mustang Fog lights in my car, and while they are really good for driving around town, they SUCKED while driving in the country compared to my high beams. Reason because the high beams are the way they are, is so that you are focusing down the road, instead of right in front of your car, so when you flick your high beams, they focus more light down the road, more then in front of you, which increase visibility at distances.