Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get Rear Calipers Back On????

Can't get Rear Calipers Back On????

I'm changing my rear rotors and pads on my 97 Cobra and for the life of me can't get either rear caliper back on. The caliper is hitting the pads. I've triple checked my parts to make sure they are correct and they are. I've retracted the pistons as far back as they will go and still they won't fit. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Is it possible the pistons aren't retracted all they way? I removed the cap to the brake reservoir to relieve any pressure. Thanks.

Yeah, sounds like the piston is just not retracted far enough. It can be really stiff sometimes. I've cursed at it many times.
    -Don____________

tulowd
    pistons need to be screwed into the housing using a tool or in a pinch some properly sized needle nosed pliers and a lot of push with no slip. https://www.google.ca/search?q=brake...5SWuZ5iOExM%3A

The pads can come 2 thicknesses 14 and 17 mm I believe- if the rotors are too thick with thick pads it may not work.
    Measure the pad and rotor thicknesses and compare to the caliper openings.
    Stock Cobra rotors are 11.65" dia x 0.71" thick.

After 5 track days:

From TheCorral:

Old 09-09-2003, 10:09 PM Geezer

Trader Feedback: (0)

The GT front rotor is 26mm/1.03" thick & 276mm/10.9" in diameter. The Cobra front rotor is 28mm/1.1" thick & 330mm/12.9" in diameter. The GT solid rear rotor is 14mm/0.55" thick & 266mm/10.47" in diameter. The Cobra vented rear rotor is 18mm/0.71" thick & 296mm/11.65" in diameter. To fit the larger rear Cobra rotor, you will need the Cobra caliper adapter bracket & the Cobra brake pads (which are thinner to allow the OE GT caliper to be used w/the thicker Cobra brake rotor).

Yeah I've been using the tool and have screwed them in as far as they will go, I think. I'm not sure how to tell when they "bottom out" They keep spinning but they don't seem to be retracting anymore. I'll measure my rotors and pad thickness, thanks for the info.

When they're all the way in they should be flush with the housing or very close to flush. You need to apply some decent pressure to get them in all the way, the good retractor kits have a push flange that applies inward pressure while turning in.

^^^^OK they are not totally flush. I just bought that little square cube that attaches to a 3/8" drive. Maybe I'll go buy the one that applies pressure. Thanks.

Sure you've got Cobra vs GT rear pads? GT / V6 version are thicker.

According to the part number on the box they are Cobra. Makes me wonder.

You've got vented Cobra rotors as well?

Rotors are not vented, they look just like the ones that came off. Should they be vented?