Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Oil leak help

speedfreak

Oil leak help

So my 81 is leaking i found that the valve cover bolts were lose so i changed out the gasket and snugged them back down. Found out after a run to town it was still leaking so i thought it was the Oil presser sensor so i changed it washed it down and it is still leaking. What could it be rear main seal or head gasket or ??? you can see the oil dripping onto the bell housing.

Drivers side

Pass side

Using a mirror and a light, carefully look to see at what level it originates (just below valve cover / just below cylinder head). If cover is leaking, did you glue the v/c gasket to the cover? Weatherstrip adhesive is your best friend (light smear on cover, gasket in place, allow to fully dry before installing).

speedfreak
    Yes i put some gasket sealant on prior to the cover going back

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
    Yes i put some gasket sealant on prior to the cover going back
    Silicone or similar between gasket and cover or gasket and head, many times you'll see the gasket slide out of position.
    Best to use a mirror n figure out where it's coming from.

speedfreak
    Yup used mirror and it looked to be valve cover so i ripped it apart and took it off and sure enough the gasket moved at the very back and was in the cover at the back and not sealed so i ripped it off and cleaned the surface gonna have fo order a new gasket Monday.

That bites.
    Ok for next round, surface cleaned then wiped with lacquer thinners or brake cleans, small smear of weather strip adhesive on the cover , gasket in place, allow to fully dry (10-30 minutes). Before installing, wipe surface of the head with thinners / brakes cleans, install (do not use glue on this side). Adhesive will keep the gasket from slipping outta place, don't be tempted to use silicone.

Good thought, many of those old gals had a twist n turn cap, gasket on the bottom of em that always deteriorated with time.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Silicone or similar between gasket and cover or gasket and head, many times you'll see the gasket slide out of position.
    -Don____________

Sorry Don.