Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Tire Reccomendation

Looking for Tire Reccomendation

I need to replace the rears on my car, they are 315 35 17s on the 10.5x17" 03 reps. Currently I have summitomos which I got a ridiculously cheap deal on. Im looking for a budget friendly all around performance tire. I dont do drag racings, I drive my car a lot in all spring and summer weather conditions and I try to autocross a couple times a year. So I need something that not only has good dry traction, but is capable in the wet and can handle the side to side of autocross ok but also not break the bank.

Ive been reading about the MT sport comps, Nitto has an option or two, the Summitomos are still a cheaper option, I think the Toyos might wear out too soon and float in the water.

So just looking for feedback or suggestions of tires to look into

Thanks,

MEANMCHN
    Braidan Tire at Mosport has great deals on tires, I buy a lot from them, they also have a great selection of performance tires.

I use 275/35/18 front and 295/35/18 rear Nitto NT555 (not R) on the street and have also used them in the pouring rain and on the track, they're a great all around option.

For the track I use 255/40/17 and 315/35/17 Toyo R88s which cut down on oversteer (narrower front and wider rear) and they grip very well. They're no good for the street, ride is very rough, they tramline (grip the uneven channels traffic leave on highways) and generally wear very quickly and are dangerous in the rain. On rainy track days I just switch back to my street tires.

If you want something great for day to day and the odd autocross/track day then the Nittos would be a great choice. Remember you can tune car's balance and grip with tire size, not just suspension setup. If you want more yaw rotation for autocross go with a square setup like 275 front and rear which will cause the car to oversteer more. If it's too tail happy or you just want to be able to push the car to it's limit without worrying much about oversteer than narrow up the fronts.

interesting, as I have a spare pare of 17x9s, though that means I need to buy 4 tires, instead of two.

MEANMCHN
    Quote Originally Posted by dbovine View Post
    interesting, as I have a spare pare of 17x9s, though that means I need to buy 4 tires, instead of two.
    If you're in the southern ontario area on July 4th for Mustangs at Mosport you can try both sets of tires I'll have at the track.

At this point I dont know that Ill make it down, but I appreciate the offer

Another vote for Nitto 555 Extreme. Priced mainline, great all round performance and wear very well. Ride is exceptional for a performance tire, as is their ability to ward off tram steer on crappy roads.

Club Sponsor Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT's Avatar
    Just don't expect much out of the Nitto 555 in the wet, especially in cooler temps. Super greasy in those conditions, I'm guessing the compound doesn't have as wide a working temp range as some others do, but then you're spending more $$. Options in 315/35R17 are pretty limited these days. That was an OEM size for some of the C4 Corvettes, that's about it I think.
    Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT - Waterloo
    www.parkwayford.ca
    toll free lines:
    sales dept 866-980-6752
    service dept 888-785-4008
    parts direct 844-339-0452
    we're on Instagram: parkwayford

^^^I found them okay in the wet, but agree: not good in the cold. And cold+wet ...forget about it.

That said, I really like the 555's.

As for autocross: I would use a set of dedicated wheels.
    -Don____________

Another vote for the Nittos. They've been very good to me on the road and the track.

tulowd
    If you plan on competing, as opposed to just driving, in Autocross; NT01's or Toyo R888 are really your only choice.

I run the 315 NT01 out back and it felt like I added 100 hp due to the traction. Ran 255's all around on the roadcourse, they were epic. Way stickier than a road tire right until the last moment. I run NT01s on the street as well as the roadcourse.
    You cannot buy a cheap, sticky tire that is good in the rain as well. What you are looking for is a Michelin Pilot Sport which is going to cost more than dedicated sets of NT555 (which I really like on the street) and NT01s combined.