Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Emissions Standards May 1 2016 - My experiences Mustang hotrod status

New Emissions Standards May 1 2016 - My experiences Mustang hotrod status

This will record my experiences of switching my Mustang to Hotrod status. This will hopefully clean some of the misconceptions. I will update with any changes on my end.

Vehicle: 1993 Mustang LX
    Original Engine: 5L 5 speed
    Now: 2004 Mach 1 engine with 04 Cobra Eaton supercharger

https://www.ontario.ca/faq/do-hot-ro...ive-clean-test

Spring is here. I usually take my car to the same place every year to have it emissions tested. The car has passed with flying colours every time. Car has all emissions equipment installed, stock manifold with aftermarket x-pipe, mufflers and tail pipes. This year I was denied testing at multiple locations because of the motor swap. Basically I have no choice but to register it as a Hotrod.

Day 1. Called the ministry or Environment who is responsible for the drive tests at 1-888-758-2999. Stated what had happened and was told I need to fill out the hot rod form. I chose to have it emailed to me. It takes up to 24 hours to receive the file. Hotrod status approval takes up to 5 days once they have received the application. Talked with a technician name Craig (nice guy and has a old big block chev). MOE does not care what is done to the vehicle, they only care about the emissions. MTO cares what done to the vehicle and even is you pass emissions you can still be fined or the vehicle removed from the road if they deem unfit.

Day 2. Update: Received form from MOE ** all updates will be add to the original post.

Here is a picture of the form.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...t-Rod-Form.jpg

Day 3: Forms and pictures sent to MOE. May 5th 2 pm.

Day 4: May 9th. Emails returned stating I have been accepted. Car is now required to meet 1980 emissions. Pg 2 for details
    Last edited by Speedtospare; 05-09-2016 at 05:47 PM.

Subbed
    Joel,

Can't we just get along?? svo1990mustang's Avatar
    SUBBED

A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
    "Small cubes and boost makes Darryl something something.............."

Motor replaced anytime

Requirements:

• Vehicle cannot legally operate if there are visible emissions for more than 15 seconds in any 5-minute period
    • For Drive Clean testing, the vehicle model year is the model year as designated by the manufacturer
    • Vehicle must meet or exceed what were the emissions standards for the original motor when all original emission control equipment was functioning
    • All emissions control equipment must be attached and functioning (equipment refers to what came with the replacement motor or be equivalent to what would have come with that motor)

Not sure what happened in your case (did you tell original facility it was an engine swap?). Phoned someone I know through a friend with an LS swapped S10, etested a couple of weeks ago with no questions asked or issues. Pulled in, said nothing, they did the two speed sniffer, out the door with a pass. Same as it's passed since the swap, numbers lower vs it's original 6 banger.

In for the info.

Built not bought! Follow this link to my 08 GT/CS Air Lift Performance Suspension Install Thread or this link to my Garage Thread

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my car and parts for what I told her they cost!

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Motor replaced anytime

Requirements:

• Vehicle cannot legally operate if there are visible emissions for more than 15 seconds in any 5-minute period
    • For Drive Clean testing, the vehicle model year is the model year as designated by the manufacturer
    • Vehicle must meet or exceed what were the emissions standards for the original motor when all original emission control equipment was functioning
    • All emissions control equipment must be attached and functioning (equipment refers to what came with the replacement motor or be equivalent to what would have come with that motor)

Not sure what happened in your case (did you tell original facility it was an engine swap?). Phoned someone I know through a friend with an LS swapped S10, etested a couple of weeks ago with no questions asked or issues. Pulled in, said nothing, they did the two speed sniffer, out the door with a pass. Same as it's passed since the swap, numbers lower vs it's original 6 banger.

Nope, I never mentioned the swap to any of the shops. Just drove in and asked for an etest. All came back with its a different engine. We can't take the risk of passing it without hotrod status of we could lose our license

Guess none of them would go for, it's a stock 5.0 with a one of set of 32v DOHC cylinder heads and matching fuel injection + blower?? Since it will more than satisfy emissions for that year of 5.0 Fox, not sure what the upside is to anyone caring.

Find a different place to E-test it.
    OBD1 sniffer test and out the door. Why subject yourself to annoying bullshit like "hot rod status".

First place must have flagged his car, said he tried other places.

I might just have to Coyote swap it in order to tell him it's a 5 liter