Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car won't start

70XR7

Car won't start

70 351c turns but won't kick over. New battery, and the distributor is getting power. I know she has gas. Should I try spraying right into the carb?
    Fml
    Thanks guys.

Distributor is getting power, but have you checked for juice at the spark plugs? If that's OK, then yes try some fuel down the carb to see if it kicks.

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

also timing if it has been messed with.
    GHIG

+1 on Ed's suggestion, just a squirt though.

70XR7
    Alright.. so I dripped some gas right into the carb.. she sputtered briefly when I tried to turn her. I could repeat this a few times..So yeah.. it's not getting gas.
    I have a buddy with a fuel pressure gauge that's coming by tonight. I'm hoping it's just the fuel pump and not the carb itself..

Have you checked the air in the tires lately?? LOL (only Cheech and Chong album listeners will get this) lol Sorry, had to say it!!! Hope you get er fired up soon though!!!

r-model
    Mechanical fuel pump I would assume?? Did you change the filter? do you have enough gas in the tank?

70XR7
    Quote Originally Posted by r-model View Post
    Mechanical fuel pump I would assume?? Did you change the filter? do you have enough gas in the tank?
    Yeah.. Mechanical.
    Gas was topped up before I parked her last fall. I put in some fuel stabilizer as well, so it shouldn't be the gas quality.
    Filter hasn't been changed in a while though; not sure of its condition.
    Good point though. Just looked it up.. looks like a Fram #G22A fuel filter. 9 bucks.
    might be worth a swap.
    I've never actually changed one. Does it require bleeding after changing it?

If it has the little gold fuel filter on the gas line at the carb try tapping it on a table and blowing air thru it to get the crud out. Continuous prob on my 68 til i put a new gas tank in. Gas shouldnt pour out if its not getting any. Those cougars are killer cars!

70XR7
    Quote Originally Posted by jay ward View Post
    If it has the little gold fuel filter on the gas line at the carb try tapping it on a table and blowing air thru it to get the crud out. Continuous prob on my 68 til i put a new gas tank in. Gas shouldnt pour out if its not getting any. Those cougars are killer cars!
    Thanks bud.
    I wonder if my tank's corroding at all..
    I'll check out the filter tonight.