Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fox body sway bar mount question...

03svt

Fox body sway bar mount question...

Picking away at a few small things on the car, first thing is it needs sway bars in a bad way.

not sure why previous owner would remove sway bars at all, but he did. So, the car doesn't have the brackets that mount to the sub frame (these vvvvvvvv)

So I was going to order new brackets from LMR and take it to someone to weld them back on, but I found steeda brackets this morning and I'm wondering how they are mounted? Do they eliminate the factory mount all together and just bolt threw subframe? Which would eliminate having to weld factory pieces back on and they are suggesting(steeda website) that they are stronger..

https://lmr.com/item/ST-5558112/must...ts-steeda-7993

Any suggestions would be great, thanks in advance

Mike

tulowd
    The swaybar brackets are likely what they are talking about. Every mount I have ever seen requires the factory installed mounting tab, even the forward offset mounts when you change the wheelbase.

Never seen the mounts on the frame directly. Note the pic - the mounts are inboard of the frame rails.
    Previous owner likely was a drag racer, maybe he smoothed out the engine compartment?

Post a pic of what the frame rail area looks like there.

Dutch
    You could get a sway bar fron a sn95 and mount it directly under the frame rail. Thats where the 1994+ mustangs have them. Not sure if the fox bar is the same as a sn95. But that's what I would do

03svt
    Quote Originally Posted by tulowd View Post
    The swaybar brackets are likely what they are talking about. Every mount I have ever seen requires the factory installed mounting tab, even the forward offset mounts when you change the wheelbase.

Never seen the mounts on the frame directly. Note the pic - the mounts are inboard of the frame rails.
    Previous owner likely was a drag racer, maybe he smoothed out the engine compartment?

Post a pic of what the frame rail area looks like there.
    Yes everything has been smoothed including firewall, I was hoping is would eliminate stock mount but I see what your saying, thanks for the pic, makes sense now.

03svt
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    You could get a sway bar fron a sn95 and mount it directly under the frame rail. Thats where the 1994+ mustangs have them. Not sure if the fox bar is the same as a sn95. But that's what I would do
    When I was looking at pics that's what I noticed that the position of the mount is different, but the fox uses different bar from what I've read.

Possibly the rear is the same??

I believe the SN95 bar is wider than the fox
    ...or so I've been lead to believe from the mounting holes on my MM control arms. (see my build thread)
    -Don____________

Fox sway bar with lowered mounts n your good to go.

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Front SN95 bar is 1.5" longer than a Fox, not sure about the body/frame mounting locations. Rear bars are the same width and same control arm mounting - good upgrade for a Fox is SN95 GT or Cobra rear sway bar.

03svt
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Fox sway bar with lowered mounts n your good to go.
    I'll order up the factory replacement pieces from LMR, and maybe see if it needs the lowered mounts

Quote Originally Posted by tulowd View Post
    Front SN95 bar is 1.5" longer than a Fox, not sure about the body/frame mounting locations. Rear bars are the same width and same control arm mounting - good upgrade for a Fox is SN95 GT or Cobra rear sway bar.
    Good to know about the rear bar thanks..., trying to decide if it's worth while buying aftermarket sway bars for a car that will never see the road course...

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by 03svt View Post
    Good to know about the rear bar thanks..., trying to decide if it's worth while buying aftermarket sway bars for a car that will never see the road course...
    Understeer is included at N/C in all Mustangs unless it has an R in the model number lol. Bigger rear bar will make the car turn/steer better, on the street or on the track.