Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: i made my fox mad

i made my fox mad

came home from work on Tuesday(dd was broken)stopped on street to open garage,(having carb issues)car stalled as I drove ahead, started no prob drove into drive stalled again as i was about to enter garage door (downhill)tried to restart (didn't want to loose pwr brakes/steerin going into garage).....dead...as if battery not in car....nothing on Thursday...not even int lights sat morning some power ..not enough to start car...put on booster pack(says full charge after 2 min)no start just solenoid clicks.....starter has been giving trouble when hot......starter gone?....original starter(on the car for 32 yrs) not lookin forword to changining if anything else could be wrong..any thoughts appreciated

Dead as in no battery in the car = Either battery is puked or you have a connection issue with either power or ground side. Start with booster cables or take the battery out and have it tested. If ok, check all connections including ground. If ok and is starts, check charging system output.

batt new last august...wonderin if bad starter shorted batt

I have had same thing happen in previous vehicles and everytime it was bad ground wires. They look fine, but if you take em off and clean em good and clean their contact points the car acts new again.

Alternator, starter, battery and engine all need to have great grounds to work properly. Not sure what its like on a fox as i havent worked on one in 15 years, but some cars only ground alternator to engine and this can often become a poor ground as the contact points get gunked up from dirt/rust. Adding a ground from alternator to frame often helps alot with charging. At least in my experiences. same with starter, she needs a good ground or you just get clicking.

Ground cables are cheap even walmart has em.

Off my meds again
    Blown fusible link, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by js197 View Post
    I have had same thing happen in previous vehicles and everytime it was bad ground wires. They look fine, but if you take em off and clean em good and clean their contact points the car acts new again.

Alternator, starter, battery and engine all need to have great grounds to work properly. Not sure what its like on a fox as i havent worked on one in 15 years, but some cars only ground alternator to engine and this can often become a poor ground as the contact points get gunked up from dirt/rust. Adding a ground from alternator to frame often helps alot with charging. At least in my experiences. same with starter, she needs a good ground or you just get clicking.

Ground cables are cheap even walmart has em.
    Sounds right, electrical issues are more often than not just a poor connection somewhere ...

you guys are probably right about the ground ....I remember having some issues in the beginning and found that the ground on the engine block had been poorly done....bolt too long nuts on it to take up the slack!!!....I don't know if I ever fixed it properly