Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting issue

Starting issue

I took the mustang out today for a quick drive to pickup dinner
    first time its been driven in 2 weeks, starts up fine as it always does in the garage, drive fine
    I had about 1/4 tank so I decided to go get gas (at shell as I usually do)
    Go to leave car stumbles and doesn't start, try again and it barely kicks (WTF)
    seems to drive ok (didnt try accelerating hard or anything just driving regular)
    Get to the restaurant, when I go to leave same issue as at the gas station.
    I initially thought battery but after taking out of storage this year with no charger on it it fired right up first try, taking it out of the garage today prior to getting gas it started perfect.
    Everything changed after getting the gas?

What do you guys think it is, could the gas be the culprit or was that a coincidence? never had the issue before.

Barely kicks, do you mean does not roll over properly or does not start up / right properly right away? If you got bad gas, would not have showed up on the first start as lines are still full of the fuel you drove in with.
    As per the norm, with an aftermarket filter, always suggest cleaning the MAF first, yes regardless of how recently it was last done. How recent was your last fuel filter change?

It cranks but doesn't start, I'll try again today after work and get a video.
    Fuel filter was changed either last summer or the year before. So maybe like 10k ago.
    What do you use for cleaning the MAF?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Remove MAF from vehicle, spray liberally from both ends, allow to air dry.
    Never touch with your hand or Q tip or blow dry.

Available at CTC / PartsSource etc.

Perfect will give it a try tonight, would it be worth re loading my tune or anything else? I have been on it for a while and need to e test this week so would prefer not to.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'd certainly start with MAF and see what transpires.

I wouldn't do anything with your tune.

If cleaning the mass air doesn't help I'd suggest pulling the negative cable for 20 minutes although this may create an issue for your test. Failing that, then maybe your FRPS is on its way out.

More common for sensor thought to cause high pressure codes, bulk of the time it's a ground or wiring issue not the sensor itself. Even though you have low miles, car is getting old, could very well be start of a pump failure. Still good idea to try MAF followed up by cleaning all connections. The '05 up are extremely sensitive to even the smallest of a connection and or wiring issue.

so had a chance to try starting it again tonight
    first startup in the garage perfect, decided to try and replicate yesterday let in run for a bit shut it off went inside for 10 min and went out to start again.
    Started up fine again. Interesting....
    Pulled it out of the garage and decided to go get the cleaner rick recommended anyways and give it a shot, started fine leaving Canadian tire as well.
    Tried driving around a bit as I felt like it may be low on power, left it in second around 3k where it wants to jump and it accelerated but not what I remember, I was driving downhill for most of this, and as I turned up my street going up hill I gave it a little gas and it jumped, its not conclusive but would anything cause it to react different based off the angle of the car (both are very shallow angles no steep hills)
    Got home took out the maf and gave it a spray with the cleaner let it dry and started it up and idled for a sec, I dont think it made a difference it was spotless and when i cleaned it, it ran clear, good idea Im sure non the less.

I think Im going to try taking it to wing night tomorrow to give it a longer drive and see. Im still suspect on the gas either plugging a filter or something maybe?