Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today was the day the motor decided to give up!

Nghtrdr

Unhappy Today was the day the motor decided to give up!

Hi guys
    Well happy Friday everyone!

Now I'm not looking for pity from anyone. I'm simply venting and telling my story of the last 1.5yrs of my life with my car.

Today while on a short trip taking my daughter for a freezer run to the local butcher the motor decided it had enough. It got extremely loud. Sounded like a piston was going to go through the block.

Some back story without getting into a ton of detail.
    Motor was rebuilt about 2.5yrs ago.
    The story is last year something happened to me while driving at work. Got T boned by a texter. Been off work since. I couldn't drive the car for the longest time because I simply couldn't drive with the pain. Once I was well enough to get back behind the wheel I could only drive short distances. While coming home from a grocery run with the wife an suv pulled up beside us as if to say lets go. I did and something popped in the motor and I heard a nasty rattling. The oil pressure was a bit low as well. Got home and checked the oil level. Something I do quit often but again because of the accident I simply couldn't. Oil level was low so I topped it up. Too late damage done!
    Had it checked by a few mechanics but without opening the motor it appeared to be a timing tensioner. I had a rattle on start up and it would come and go but only at certain rpms. If the motor was under load it would disappear completely. So I replaced the timing assembly. The drivers tensioner was not moving freely and the guides were worn. Remember the motor was rebuilt just 2.5yrs before! The mechanic that changed the timing assembly said the tensioners were not new. I guess this mean the builder used old parts to pocket more money. So at this point I'm thinking this was not my fault and what else did he not replace that I paid for?!
    I knew I was looking at another rebuild or replacement, but was hoping to get through the summer since money is tight (still not back to work), guess that's not going to happen!

Its said bad things happen in threes. What's next. Lol
    1:car accident, can't work.
    2:motor blows up
    3:??

If anyone has a line on a decent motor (4.6 2v Windsor) cheap to get me through the next two years let me know. I can't afford to rebuild this motor right now and a swap is much cheaper.
    I'm hoping to rebuild this motor up at some point in the next few years and hopefully have a solid foundation for a supercharger. This is a few years away. At least till I'm back to work and recover from my wage loss which is very high.

Thanks for letting me vent guys
    Dan

Sorry to hear about your shitty luck the last while. This would be a good time to stub your toe to get the third mishap out of the way. Best of luck with the motor search.

r-model
    have you tried calling PSP?? he might have something sometimes 416-285-7285

Nghtrdr
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen06GT View Post
    Sorry to hear about your shitty luck the last while. This would be a good time to stub your toe to get the third mishap out of the way. Best of luck with the motor search.
    Lol. I should. Wouldn't hurt as much as the rest of me

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by r-model View Post
    have you tried calling PSP?? he might have something sometimes 416-285-7285
    I doubt they would have anything cheap but worth a shot. Thnx

Dan, sorry to hear about you bad luck. Hope everything works out for the best in short order!

Built not bought! Follow this link to my 08 GT/CS Air Lift Performance Suspension Install Thread or this link to my Garage Thread

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my car and parts for what I told her they cost!

When you say "the motor blew up"
    what exactly does that mean?
    You say it got extremely loud, but did you still have oil pressure? Temperature okay? Smoke? Fire?
    Could be plenty of minor things that could be repaired versus a whole new engine. I would suggest having it looked at first before throwing in the towel.

Years ago I was driving home in my old truck. Just as I pulled onto my road there was a loud BANG! and smoke everywhere! Of course I suspected the worse.
    Turned out to be nothing more than the upper rad hose had popped.
    -Don____________

It's had a semi terminal kinda noise for awhile now Don.
    Better days are coming soon Dan.

Nghtrdr
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    When you say "the motor blew up"
    what exactly does that mean?
    You say it got extremely loud, but did you still have oil pressure? Temperature okay? Smoke? Fire?
    Could be plenty of minor things that could be repaired versus a whole new engine. I would suggest having it looked at first before throwing in the towel.

Years ago I was driving home in my old truck. Just as I pulled onto my road there was a loud BANG! and smoke everywhere! Of course I suspected the worse.
    Turned out to be nothing more than the upper rad hose had popped.

Towel is thrown, She's def done!
    Oil pressure down to 10psi and the metal on metal sound tells me oil was not getting to vital parts. Water temps were ok though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Dan, sorry to hear about you bad luck. Hope everything works out for the best in short order!
    Thanks Scott
    I'm hopeful I can find a donor

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    It's had a semi terminal kinda noise for awhile now Don.
    Better days are coming soon Dan.

Thanks Rick
    Hopefully I'll need you very soon

What mods to the motor? What was cause for rebuild years ago?

Nghtrdr
    Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    What mods to the motor? What was cause for rebuild years ago?
    Hey Laffs
    Mods did not cause the issue with the motor. It was a bad rebuild. It was rebuilt because the previous owner was an idiot who pushed it beyond its limits. I knew this when I bought it and got a good deal on the car because of it.
    This is my first mustang and I didn't know how sensitive these mod motors can be (Chevy guy). I didn't know about the forums or some of the builders dealing in mustangs at the time either. It appears the builder I used ripped me off and reused old parts on the rebuild. How far is unknown till I pull the motor apart and do a visual.
    The plan is to rebuild my motor and go all forged this time using a reliable builder and drop a supercharger on it. This is my dream anyways. If it wasn't for my accident at work the supercharger would have been on 1.5yrs ago and my motor would have detonated for sure because of the original rebuild quality.
    At least now I know better and can do it right. It will take time but I will get there eventually..

For right now, I'm just trying to get back on the road and enjoy the car and the summer a bit on a very limited budget