Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear end movement.

Rear end movement.

Got the tires for the back end of the thunderbird. 315 wide. Just doing some fitment stuff before I start welding on the new quarter.
    First thought was to use a spacer to bring the wheel out far enough to clear everything. A one inch spacer does that but it's very close to the fender lip. Rolling might remedy this. But the only thing on the inside that's on the way is the bump stop and the exhaust.
    I've been toying with the idea of side exhaust. Still on the fence. The bump stop is actually bolt on so with it removed I have room.
    My question is with a leaf spring suspension how much side to side play should I give allowance for if any?

I may split the diff. And use a half inch spacer.
    Other question is on the front I have to use a one inch spacer to clear the suspension. This still allows the tire to clear the inside of the fender. Again might roll them just to be sure.

If I run a one inch on the front. And no spacer or just a half on the back do you think this is gonna be noticeable

If it is will it really matter to the over all look.
    I'm running 275 up front and 315 in the back. Lots of meat.

Leaf spring rear under normal use should see very little side-to-side movement, maybe 1/2" I'd say. As far as spacers most probably won't notice a small difference like that. But you could easily satisfy your own curiosity by putting the wheels on with 1" worth of washers built up on two studs per wheel, then lower the car, roll it back and forth to settle everything and it should give you a very close idea of the finished product without needing to buy spacers you won't use.

Perfect. I have about an inch and a half of space all the way around. So I should be good for space then. That's without a spacer and without rolling the fender.
    All I did was remove the bump stop which turned out to be bolted in and not welded on so that was easy.
    I think I will replace it with a bump stop straight on the bottom of the rail.

The only thing that may be tight with a clearence issue is the exhaust.

But been toying wit the idea of old school side pipes. Not sure on that yet but it wood also sold my rocker issues.

Turns out they aren't rotten just full of bondo from curb riding.

Good news is sold the old trailer today to gonna order the rest of the inner patch pannels so I can get the quarters welded on.