Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  84
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Frontier

Had a garage check the battery, they said it was okay.
    Checked the ground cable. It was the cleanest I’ve seen in any vehicle.
    Checked the power cable. Some battery acid corrosion. Cleaned it up, went for a run.

When I got back, I hooked up my code scanner and ran a battery and alternator check:

Possibly needs a new battery?

mods: this thread could probably be best moved to the truck section. thanks
    -Don____________

Did you check to make sure the engine was properly grounded.

The ground cable from the battery -ve to the block? Yes. Squeaky clean. Cleaned it anyway.

Started up several times today. Sounded healthy each time.
    -Don____________

Sorry if I missed it but how old is the battery?

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Had a garage check the battery, they said it was okay.
    Checked the ground cable. It was the cleanest I’ve seen in any vehicle.
    Checked the power cable. Some battery acid corrosion. Cleaned it up, went for a run.

When I got back, I hooked up my code scanner and ran a battery and alternator check:

Possibly needs a new battery?

mods: this thread could probably be best moved to the truck section. thanks
    assuming a garage would have done a proper load test but your test dropping out to 6.7 seems low.

not to beat a dead horse but i had an old car that the ground cable looked fine but chased many many start issues to finally replace the ground and it was all corroded internally. ends looked mint but was garbage under the sheath.

might be worth to just add a jumper cable from the batterie ground to a clean spot on the motor and then run your test again and see if that drop out changes

if it doesn't id say bad batterie.

I’m assuming I can test the ground cable by probing each end and reading the ohms?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    Sorry if I missed it but how old is the battery?
    2-3 years old.
    Interstate.
    -Don____________

usualy yes. but an ohm meter is using a very low voltage. its possible if its a corrosion issue or a broken wire, vibration or movement may cause an intermittent issue, but also the current load the wire is taking during start demand is far greater. could be causing heat build up in a very short period of time, heat causes expansion and contraction.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post

2-3 years old.
    Interstate.
    for under 100 bucks you can pick up a hydrometer and a basic load tester. all you need for testing a battery and very handy to have in the tool box.

I wonder if the new starter you put in a couple of years ago is no bueno.

Seems odd the same issue was fixed with a new starter and now it’s back. Aftermarket parts…….

Quote Originally Posted by Redfire427 View Post
    That backflip will be in the garbage in a few years. Ask me how I know. The hinged areas of the fabric get destroyed in no time. Not mention, the metal on the underside is beer-can thin. If anything inpacts it, it will bend or pierce. Very dissappointed in this product after 4 years.

Carmen
    Sooooooo….. the Bakflip finally gave up the ghost. Lasted 7 years. As predicted, the fabric along the folds cracked split open and let water in. Wasn’t much longer before the core rotted and soft. The latches were also becoming problematic. With some pro-active maintenance, probably could have stretched it out a couple more years.

Too bad because I really liked the Bakflip. The versatility was amazing, loved the look, but for the price the durability was disappointing.

Got a replacement from Costco for under $400. It’s a tri-fold, aluminum frame, vinyl top. Not as versatile, but easily removed if I need the entire bed, and way lighter. Had to remove the cleat rails because the new tonneau came with the wrong hardware to work with the rails. Planning on emailing TonnoPro to see if I can get the right pieces.

-Don____________