Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Reducing Underhood Temps

Reducing Underhood Temps

Anyone have any advice or mods for reducing under hood temps with a blower? Mines always been a heat pump but it seems like ever since I put the 99 Cobra hood on, its really sizzling under there. The combo of Centri Charge and very low car so little airflow underneath make it a warm experience.
    Went to a car show yesterday which was a 40min drive from home, in overcast conditions the hood was too hot to touch for 3 hours.

Debating cutting a heat extractor vent where the plastic cover is on the hood, but welcome other suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Same issue when I had the turbo setup....thought it was going to melt the hood paint. I was considering switching to a heat extractor hood, but I would say start with your heat extraction cut out idea and go from there.

Here are some small things that I did which seemed to have helped my setup:

- increased the size of the plastic rad air dam to try and scoop more air up
    - used deflective heat tape in certain areas
    - wrapped all my hot piping (more turbo related)
    - removed the weather stripping at the back of the hood near the cowl which opened up a gap (95 Cobra R hood)

I also know that some guys remove their fender liners and look at ways of opening up larger holes/cutouts on the underside of the hood to try and funnel the air out.

Its not much, but hope its helps!

An oil cooler would probably help.

What temp is the engine seeing while driving

I always thought it would help to have a cowl hood, but I've been told otherwise on that since there's a high-pressure area behind the hood. Still, if it was mine I'd try the ricer trick of raising the back of the hood and going for a drive to see if it helps.
    Were you in the 'burg for the show? I was in town but didn't stop in cuz it was raining.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    I always thought it would help to have a cowl hood, but I've been told otherwise on that since there's a high-pressure area behind the hood. Still, if it was mine I'd try the ricer trick of raising the back of the hood and going for a drive to see if it helps.
    Were you in the 'burg for the show? I was in town but didn't stop in cuz it was raining.
    Yep. Parked in late model mustang alley lol.

Performance Redefined OneQwkStang's Avatar
    Saleen hood and front bumper...=P

He wants it to run cooler, not slower

you might not be able to reduce all the heat...

but you can still isolate all the parts that you want to prevent getting cooked

with thermal wrap & heat shields

tulowd
    Air extraction. You can run all the coolers in the world, but without the hot air getting out from under the hood, it will eventually level off at.... too hot.

The Termi Cobra and new 5.0 all have hood extractors. Nuff said.

Oil cooler is a good investment in my experience as well. Figure if your motor makes more power than stock, it also creates more heat as a byproduct.
    On top of that, any supercharged car also creates heat by compressing air. Wrapping and ceramic coating does keep more heat in the exhaust, where it will help make more power directly and indirectly.