Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission cross member HELP!

speedfreak

Transmission cross member HELP!

Installed my AOD tranny today but when we went to install the tranny cross member we found out that it wont fit ? It is like the cross member mounts on the chassis need to be removed and welded back in 2 inchs toward the rear. The car is a 1981 notch that had a inline 6 with what i believe to be a c5. Is it possible that the tranny cross member mounting location could be in a differant location on the chassis then 4 cy v6 or v8 cars?

My 1995 has a second set f cross member tabs welded in. They were used do the previous owners T56. They are welded in to the full length subtrame connectors and the stock tabs are still in place and being utilized by me for my T5.

Can't we just get along?? svo1990mustang's Avatar
    Not sure about the inline 6's but my 4 banger auto i used to have, it had a different cross member and used a different mount then the other setups. If you swapped motor and trans you might need a different cross member.

A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
    "Small cubes and boost makes Darryl something something.............."

This may help, I copied part of an article, I can post the rest if you want ?

Transmission Cross-member: This all depends on if you have single or dual exhaust. Single exhaust uses the single hump cross-member that most already have. A double hump cross member is required for dual exhaust but will also work on a single exhaust car. The famous double-hump cross-member can be found in any '86 and up V8 Mustang. If you are converting a 79-81 car the cross-member mounts on the frame are only 2 3/4" wide vs. 4 1/2" wide on the 82 and up cars. This is not really a problem just cut the pipe extensions on both ends of the double-hump cross-member to fit your car.
    ~REMEMBER, " life in prison" doesn't mean SHIT to a senior citizen ~ http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/for...4&type=profile

speedfreak
    None of this is the problem i have a dbl hump cross member but no matter if i use the dbl or single hump and even once i cut the tubes down to 2 3/4" the cross member hits the tranny and still wont mount into the mounting location on the chassis. Again the mounts on the chassis looks like they need to be cut off and relocated almost 2 inch further back toward the rear of the car has anyone ever heard of having to do this? I was under the impression the chassis mounts were in the same location for all the fox chassis No matter what engine and tranny came in the car?

Does the factory one have a long slot for the mount like this one from Stifflers?
    Early mount is different vs the later version but I thought the chassis mounts are the same no matter which engine.
    Sure about the trans your using?

speedfreak
    That looks like a nice piece it even looks to be of double hump design

edit

Disregard, already mentioned ...

speedfreak
    Well i cheaped out and decided to remove my chassis mounts and modifie them then relocate them! Pics will be in the build thead when ever i get one going lol

^ Hot roddin stuff.