Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2104 F150 Ecoboost - Detonation Issue??

FIVE0FOX

2104 F150 Ecoboost - Detonation Issue??

Hi All

Have my '14 F150 Ecoboost making a weird noise under hard acceleration. Doesn't happen every single time but happens often. This is not my video but can be used for reference as the noise is the exact same... @ 0:05 mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6k9UNn4nCs

Is this a possible detonation issue? When the clicks happen, a puff of black smoke always comes out of the tailpipe. Lots of chatter about it on the net but no one seems to have an answer. It has done it for some time now, and I run either 89 or 91 octane at all times. Seems to do it less with 91 octane but really hard to say for certain. No mods, truck is bone stock.

Any ideas?

See lots of chatter but no real fix or even confirmation it's indeed detonating. Are you positive it's not dropping a cylinder for a split second? Got enough km's it's due for new plugs?

FIVE0FOX
    I have 71,000 kms on the stock plugs so I assume they are probably ready for a change.

When I run 91 it seems to be less noticeable. No one seems to know what the true problem maybe!

It's interesting because sometimes it clicks like that 3 or 4 times quickly while reching peak boost and then stops. Also happens more often after cruising for some time. Could this be a timing related issue?

If it happens less often with 91 you'd tend to think it's a timing related issue vs intermittent miss. Have you tried 94 to see if it backs off just that much more? Might also be worth running a can or two of SeaFoam through it with 91 first and monitor.

Did a little more looking and came up with this.
    Ford has changes coming to the newest version of that engine, adding port injection alongside the direct port injection. Below is their explanation but it would seem to me, they are fighting (just like many other direct injected engines) excessive build up on the intake valves (which is resulting in a host of driveability issues) and will be using the port injection to help keep them clean. Cool that they've also been able to up torque and h/p at the same time.

The addition of a port fuel-injection system to the direct rails improves cold-start emissions and low-load consumption.

^^^that sounds like another classic ford fix: don't fix the problem, identify it, and then band-aid it.
    -Don____________

Several of the mfg's are in the exact same boat with excessive build up on the intake valves due to being direct injected. Same goes for a bunch of the diesels.

Whisperl
    You guys nailed it....pull the intake and clean the valves. Prepare to get dirty, real dirty. It was everywhere...wear clothing you will just toss out when you do, seriously. This is almost as bad as a Diesel VW intake. Some will be so bad the valve is actually buried in gunk. This direct injection is an amazing system, but pulling the intake twice a year to clean the valves is not fun at all. Once one really gets mucked up you'll get knock on a scanner and your idle will go belly up. I've seen both the Ford and VW direct injection system intakes off, and it was down right scary what had built up in there. The VW was throwing a knock code and it was the intake valve in cyl2 that was plugged. The other 3 were no better visually, but that one was just solid with carbon build up. My buddy Josh has a 13 Ecoboost and will most likely be the next one I do as his is acting funny and has around 60k or so on it. I'm positive his is a mess now too.

Im sure an AIR-OIL seperator(s) would help keep the valves cleaner on the Direct Injection engines.

^ Absolutely going to help but by design build up is inevitable.