Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T56 transmission fluid shoot out.

T56 transmission fluid shoot out.

TEST VEHICLE / FLUIDS TESTED

-2004 Cobra T56
    -Non synthetic ATF
    -Amsoil syncromesh
    -Amsoil manual trans and transaxle fluid
    -Chrysler Viper spec trans fluid

Non syn ATF

-good cold shifting with no notchiness, shifts fine hot. Very cost effective to use, recommended as the factory fill.
    -downside, trans noise varies between noisey to very noisey depending on temperatures. Trans smoothness falls off sharply after a single track day.

Amsoil Syncromesh

-ok cold shifting, gets even smoother as it warms up and is good once hot. Nice improvement over ATF.
    -downsided, trans noise is minimal when cold, does increase to about 2/3 of ATF level when hot. Trans noise does however increase to virtually equal to ATF after one track day. While shifting smoothness does not fall off as much as ATF, it does drop off an appreciable amount.

Amsoil manual trans and transaxle

-shifting cold falls somewhere between ok and good but only takes a block or three before it becomes silky smooth. Cold or warm, trans noise is hugely reduced.
    -downside, none as of yet. Will see if it continues to control trans noise after the fall lapping day.

Chrysler Viper spec

-shifting cold is definitely not as good as the Trans n Transaxle Amsoil but only takes a few blocks before it equals out. Cold or warm, trans noise is hugely reduced. After a track day, no noticeable difference in performance or noise.
    -downside, cost.

IMHO, testing suggests regular ATF and Synchromesh aren't the hot ticket for the T56 (syncromesh works killer in a T5 / T45 etc). While the Viper spec does a terrific job, you can have the same performance and noise control with Amsoil's Manual trans n Transaxle fluid for dramatically less money.
    I'm optimistic the Amsoil is going to work out long term, will update once I have more miles on it, very pleased thus far.

To our Amsoil guy Ryan, thanks again for setting me up and taking the chance you'd get the feedback you'd hoped for. I will continue to suggest Syncromesh for those using a T5 / T45 or 3650, seeing excellent feedback from those using it.

Would you recommend the amsoil manual trans fluid for a t5 also? I am currently running versatrans LV full synthetic atfade by Kendall.

No I'd suggest the Syncromesh, works mint in that trans.

Running the Amsoil synchromesh in my t-45 for the past couple of years now. Nothing but good things to say about it
    "Without Warning, Without Conscience"

Can't we just get along?? svo1990mustang's Avatar
    Nice comparison Rick, It does suck that the Mopar stuff is so pricey. Good to hear you might have found a more cost effective replacement.

A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
    "Small cubes and boost makes Darryl something something.............."

Yes cost has been it's only downfall, otherwise it's a perfect home run.

Great news so far! Thanks for your input and help ZR!

Quote Originally Posted by 1986stangfan View Post
    Would you recommend the amsoil manual trans fluid for a t5 also? I am currently running versatrans LV full synthetic atfade by Kendall.
    I have to ask, why are you running LV fluid?
    Ryan Matheson
    Matheson Motorsports
    Call/ Text: (416)688-7670

Amsoil T1-Certified Independent Dealer
    Amsoil Home Page

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    TEST VEHICLE / FLUIDS TESTED

-2004 Cobra T56
    -Non synthetic ATF
    -Amsoil syncromesh
    -Amsoil manual trans and transaxle fluid
    -Chrysler Viper spec trans fluid

Non syn ATF

-good cold shifting with no notchiness, shifts fine hot. Very cost effective to use, recommended as the factory fill.
    -downside, trans noise varies between noisey to very noisey depending on temperatures. Trans smoothness falls off sharply after a single track day.

Amsoil Syncromesh

-ok cold shifting, gets even smoother as it warms up and is good once hot. Nice improvement over ATF.
    -downsided, trans noise is minimal when cold, does increase to about 2/3 of ATF level when hot. Trans noise does however increase to virtually equal to ATF after one track day. While shifting smoothness does not fall off as much as ATF, it does drop off an appreciable amount.

Amsoil manual trans and transaxle

-shifting cold falls somewhere between ok and good but only takes a block or three before it becomes silky smooth. Cold or warm, trans noise is hugely reduced.
    -downside, none as of yet. Will see if it continues to control trans noise after the fall lapping day.

Chrysler Viper spec

-shifting cold is definitely not as good as the Trans n Transaxle Amsoil but only takes a few blocks before it equals out. Cold or warm, trans noise is hugely reduced. After a track day, no noticeable difference in performance or noise.
    -downside, cost.

IMHO, testing suggests regular ATF and Synchromesh aren't the hot ticket for the T56 (syncromesh works killer in a T5 / T45 etc). While the Viper spec does a terrific job, you can have the same performance and noise control with Amsoil's Manual trans n Transaxle fluid for dramatically less money.
    I'm optimistic the Amsoil is going to work out long term, will update once I have more miles on it, very pleased thus far.

To our Amsoil guy Ryan, thanks again for setting me up and taking the chance you'd get the feedback you'd hoped for. I will continue to suggest Syncromesh for those using a T5 / T45 or 3650, seeing excellent feedback from those using it.

Ran across this post searching for trans fluid for T-56
    Just wondering if your still liking the Amsoil manual trans and transaxle fluid for the T56's?

The ONLY fluid that works in my TKO 600 transmission when shifting at 7000 rpm is ACDelco Synchromesh 89021808 purchased at you local GM dealership. Other brand synchromesh do not work as well for me.

Little 2V 700+ RWHP, Pump Gas
    10.46 sec @ 136 mph

Was poking around on the Amsoil site today, noticed the recommended fluid they list for the 04 Cobra T56 is "Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid"

Wondering if you'd toss that in vs the regular amsoil trans fluid?
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate