Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 98 Cobra Overheating - Fluid came out Resevoir cap!

98 Cobra Overheating - Fluid came out Resevoir cap!

Hey Guys,

Just after the excitement of having got my new struts and shocks installed, I had an overheating issue today as I was on my way back home from Heritage Ford (picking up some plastic retainer pins). Anyways, had the coolant changed @ Fraser Ford Quick Lane end of July. Believe they use a machine/vacuum system to do so. Have heard that the burping process on the 96-98 Cobras can be problematic, causing air pockets/overheating to occur, but car has been good since end of July coolant change, with one exception, where the gauge did go up a bit, but turning the heater on brought the temp back down.

Drove the car from Oshawa to Heritage (no problem), and on the way back stopped @ McDonalds to grab a coffee, and just as I was pulling out, happened to notice my temp gauge was moving into the AL on NORMAL. Typically sits @ the R/M. Shortly after that, saw some steam rising from the hood, so pulled over in a nearby shopping plaza lot and the coolant was blasting out the reservoir @ the cap. Shut the car off and let things cool down. Headed into the local grocery store and got some distilled water and came back out. Slowly undid the reservoir cap and as I did so, I could see the coolant coming back into the reservoir, so stopped, let it drain back some, and continued to open it, until I was able to get the cap off. I then proceeded to fill it slowly with the water until it wouldn't take anymore. Started the car up and things seemed to be ok. Drove it back to Oshawa, and the Temp gauge behaved as normal.....on the R/M. I had my heater cranked on full.....to help. The little symbol with the Rad/Fan icon came on, but learned that was because the reservoir was low again when I arrived @ Fraser. It did come on/go off a couple times as I drove, so assume fluid was coming up/going down in the reservoir periodically.

So, left it @ Fraser to check it out. Weren't able to do much on it today, but will get to it on Tuesday.

The thermostat was changed in 2009 for similar issue. Might it be toast again? Also not sure the Rad fan was coming on and have heard that the wiring connector to it has been a problem area (based on a quick internet search).

Anyone with other ideas/things to check?

1-correct burping procedure is an absolute must (hopefully they have someone that is familiar, standard filling procedure will not work)
    2-as stated, fans / fan plugs are well known to fail (start engine, crank on AC, fan should come on, if ok, allow to warm up n see if it comes only correctly then as well)
    3-OEM thermostat only

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...burp-procedure

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    1-correct burping procedure is an absolute must (hopefully they have someone that is familiar, standard filling procedure will not work)
    2-as stated, fans / fan plugs are well known to fail (start engine, crank on AC, fan should come on, if ok, allow to warm up n see if it comes only correctly then as well)
    3-OEM thermostat only

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...burp-procedure
    Thanks ZR!

Just wanted to report back. Got the Cobra back today. Sure enough, the Quick Lane process must have introduced air into the system somehow (told they have some type of vacuum system that's supposed to take care of that?). Anyways, they spent all day on the car today doing the proper procedure and ensuring there was no damage introduced during the overheat. Car now sees the gauge running at the R instead of the previous M in NORMAL and seems none the worse for the experience. Sure glad I cranked on the hot air full blast on the drive back to Oshawa/Fraser Ford......probably saved some serious damage.

And no charge for the day's work on the car. Koodo's to Fraser for their admission of fault.

From here on in, I'll use the posted procedure (thanks again ZR!) myself when it's needed again. Hopefully no time soon!

Kudo's to them for stepping up and making it right, sign of a great shop.

^^^