Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1

Thread: 2011 Mustang GT track brake setup

2011 Mustang GT track brake setup

I was thinking of running just Hawk HP+ front pads because they are relitively cheap and not too aggressive. My question is, what rear pads should I use?
    This is my Dad's car. He ran stock brakes at TMP a couple weeks ago and killed both front and rear.
    Front pads I can see burning up easily. I assume the traction control applies the rear brakes?
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.

I'd speak with Fast Ed.

tulowd
    I would use the same compound, especially when using something so street oriented IMO. The rear brakes need to do as much as possible, otherwise he'll be overtaxing the fronts after a lap or two. Initial rear bite should be the same or lower than the fronts, but ultimate operating characteristics should mirror each other ideally.

On my 07 with the front Brembo swap, if we put too much bite in the rear pads, it would just prematurely try to invoke the ABS. I think this would be from a combination of the front bite leading to enough brake dive to unload the rear sufficiently to make those tires light on the road. It just had FRPP springs and Bilsteins, so with more spring & shock you could get more aggressive with the rear pads too I'd guess. If the car doesn't have Brembos up front, it may not be as much of an issue.

And yes, the TC will engage the rear brakes heavily on a tight course like TMP trying to tame the wheelspin out of corners. You need to turn that off or constantly be changing rear brake components. Cooling for the front brakes is a good idea too.

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

Thanks guys. Its a non Brembo car. I figured he would need something a little more aggressive on the rear pads. He is trying to drive his faster and heavier car like he drives mine. I can floor the gas pedal mid corner in my car and nothing really happens so traction control and rear brake pad life are not a concern. Ed, I will PM you if he is interested.
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.