Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1,661
Page 28 of 152 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878128 ... LastLast

Thread: Nascar Thread part II

NASCAR Considering Using VHT/PJ1 Trackbite For Dover Races This Weekend After Charlotte "Success" (Credit to NBC Sports):
    After a positive reception at the Coca-Cola 600, NASCAR could apply VHT this weekend at Dover International Speedway. Chief racing development officer Steve O’Donnell said the 1-mile oval’s concrete surface – similar to Bristol Motor Speedway, where VHT was used in the past – makes it an obvious candidate.

VHT, which is intended to promote multiple grooves to enhance passing, made its asphalt debut with NASCAR at Charlotte Motor Speedway this past weekend. O’Donnell said its success led to NASCAR being contacted by “a lot of interested parties” about its usage at more tracks in the future.

“It’s something for sure you could see” in the future, O’Donnell said Tuesday morning during his weekly “The Morning Drive” appearance on SiriusXM’s NASCAR channel. “We have to break down what did we see from the asphalt application, what’s it doing to the track vs. the tire vs. the racing. There are a lot of things to digest.

“Going into Dover, you’ve got that one-off where you ran it at Bristol on a similar surface. It is something we could look at and then beyond that have, we have to analyze what happens in terms of the asphalt surface.”

Dover spokesman Gary Camp said Tuesday that VHT usage has been discussed, but no decision had been made. Camp said if NASCAR believes the compound would enhance Dover’s racing, the track “would certainly be supportive.”

O’Donnell said NASCAR also would be consulting with Goodyear, but that such a decision wouldn’t necessarily require much lead time.

“The good news is it’s just enhancing what they have,” he said. “It’s not something that if we apply this next week, we need a different tire. So far it’s helped whatever tire they’ve brought to the track.”

O’Donnell praised Charlotte Motor Speedway owner Marcus Smith for lobbying to use the VHT, which had been used successfully at its adjacent NHRA-affiliated drag racing track.

NASCAR applied the traction compound twice on Charlotte’s 1.5-mile oval, before practice and qualifying Thursday and again on Saturday night. Drivers who competed in the Cup and Xfinity races asked NASCAR to reapply the VHT for the Coca-Cola 600.

“I think it had an impact,” O’Donnell said. “We’ll continue to learn and work with tracks. This was the first time on asphalt and the second time we used it. As we see multiple grooves open up earlier, I think it’s something you could see us apply in the future at other tracks.

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/05/...lotte-success/

BECAUSE RACECAR

Off my meds again
    With the results she's had, or lack thereof in this case. I can't say I'm surprised by this possibly being Danica's last season.

Patrick's Future at SHR Uncertain after 2017 Season

Like her or not, fact of the matter, she's done nothing in spite of piloting a top tier ride.

Stewart-Haas Racing and Danica Patrick are reviewing their options about whether she will continue on as a driver for the team after this year, according to sources. Patrick is signed with SHR through '18, but there are clauses in her contract that could see the relationship end after this year, and the sides are discussing their choices, sources said. Patrick's nearly decade-long relationship with GoDaddy that spanned back to her time in IndyCar ended after '15, and SHR has run into challenges securing primary sponsorship. Nature's Bakery earlier this year backed away from its three-year, $45M deal after one season.

The team needs a better driver in her seat, she wants out due to lingering health issues from multiple concussions and diminishing desire to continue, and sponsors are no longer flocking to her like they did before. With so many factors pointing to retirement I'd say its a sure thing.

But if nothing else, she did help raise interest in racing for my daughter.
    BECAUSE RACECAR

Wallace to pilot the 43 car.

The significance of Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr.’s new job driving the iconic No. 43 Ford for Richard Petty this summer has not been lost on the young driver … or his closest friends.
    After five determined years climbing NASCAR’s national series ladder, the 23-year-old makes his Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series debut this weekend at Pocono Raceway (Sunday at 3 p.m. ET on FS1, MRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio) – the ultimate opportunity on NASCAR’s biggest stage.
    One of his best friends – 23-year-old Ryan Blaney – drives another of the sport’s most historic cars, the Wood Brothers’ No. 21 Ford. Like most other 20-somethings, that mutual, happy circumstance is something the pair plan to savor and remember by capturing and sharing the moment on social media.
    This isn’t just historic. It’s really cool.
    “Yeah, that’s huge,” Wallace said Tuesday. “It’s funny, Blaney texted me this morning, actually woke me up this morning, he wants a picture this weekend.
    “I was like, OK. He was like, ‘We’re driving the two most iconic cars in the sport this weekend. We definitely have to capitalize on that.’ ”
    And so Wallace will be steering a car number used by the sport’s “King,” the 79-year-old Petty, responsible for seven Cup championships and a historic 200-win total. He’ll line up with Blaney, whose number has been campaigned by 105-race winner David Pearson, Cale Yarborough, Dale Jarrett and Junior Johnson – like Petty, all NASCAR Hall of Famers.
    ISC Archives via Getty Images
    Undoubtedly the best way for the friends to capitalize on their history-rich rides would be for either Blaney’s No. 21 Motorcraft/Quick Lane Ford or Wallace’s No. 43 Smithfield Ford to wind up in Victory Lane after 400 tough miles at Pocono on Sunday afternoon.
    But Wallace knows he doesn’t necessarily have to win this weekend to benefit both his career and the team, in the interim. In fact, he doesn’t “have to win” at all.
    This is widely considered to be Wallace’s big-league audition, giving him the chance to show he also belongs with the drivers in their talented 20s crowding the Cup grid.

Go Bubba go!

Congrats to Ryan Blaney and the #21 Wood Brothers Ford on their victory in Pocono. Awesome to see the famed #21 in victory lane.

Very cool to see him win.

On pole.