Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Octane Booster...... what do I need to know??

Roushcharged

Octane Booster...... what do I need to know??

Hey guys was doing a little reading on octane boosters and how effective they may be in situations where 94 octane may not be available. I got myself in a situation this weekend where the Petro I pulled in to didn't have Ultra 94, I was at 1/4 tank and was able to find another Petro that did have it but it was a situation I'd like to avoid as I don't like running the tank dry and I hit a lot of traffic. Now that being said I know I can put in 91 octane and drive without incident as long as I stay out of boost. But out on a cruise it may not be ideal to stay out of boost.... So I visited my local Canadian Tire and grabbed a bottle of Lucas Octane Booster and read this on the bottle.

TESTED 3 times more boost then other brands.

Octane boosters may advertise boosting your octane levels using a “points system”. 10 points is 1 octane level.

So I can do the math, but no where on the bottle did it say how many points its boosting. Visited the Lucas website and came up empty again. Checked the Canadian Tire website and it says "Provides three times more boost for your fuel" So is that 3 points or 3 octane levels? I would assume 3 Octane levels or 30 points. But Lucas says 3 times MORE then other brands.

The bottle of Lucas says it's good for 25 gallons of fuel or approx 94L..... But the instructions clearly say empty entire bottle in to tank then fill. My 2011 has a 16 gallon tank or approx 60L. Now assuming that its fine to drop the entire bottle in what fuel do I go with? Should I take the highest octane available? Or do the math to achieve 94?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

tulowd
    you should also consider that 94 Octane has up to 10% ethanol, which requires a higher ratio of fuel to air.
    Shell 91 is pure gasoline without ethanol, so it remains constant and consistent. I have my car tuned on 91.

Octane boost adds very little in terms of ttl points - perhaps 1 or 2 at most in my research. If you are running that close to the edge, you are asking for trouble IMO. Don't you have a secondary tune for lower octane?

Roushcharged
    Its tuned at 93, generally don't have an issue finding 94 in the city, it was just a thought going through my head. I don't usually get in to that situation and if I do I know its fine to run 91 octane and stay out of boost, I just thought if I kept a bottle of octane boost in the trunk I could avert the situation all together if it arose.

Your never stuck, yes even if there is only 87 available. Off boost, it's the same engine it every was and will run 100% on what ever you can find. Trick, just put in enough to get you where you need to go (staying off boost of course), fill with 93 or 94 and enjoy. Put 350+ kms on mine running 91 last weekend, just as in past, survived just fine, of course kept my foot outta it.
    Same goes for running + ethanol fuel or not, car tuned to run what it runs and be happy.
    If we were talking an N/A ride built around compression that only allows for higher octane, you have no choice but to run boost additive, lots of it.

Roushcharged
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Same goes for running + ethanol fuel or not, car tuned to run what it runs and be happy.
    Makes sense, the car got tuned with the Ultra 94 so it is what it is and will run fine with it.

As for Octane boost, my former F800 HO was finicky as hell requiring 91 only or Octane light would flash and it dropped power huge until shut off and restarted. Odd time it would even trigger running 91 or 94. When I'd get stuck and pull up to a pump with 87 only, full can of Klotz Octane boost added to it's 10 gallon tank saw the light never ever even once flash. Does the stuff work, my testing suggests it works well.
    Will be doing the same thing with my new sled, will post results using Klotz under the same circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by allicedout View Post
    Makes sense, the car got tuned with the Ultra 94 so it is what it is and will run fine with it.
    Exactly that.

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    As for Octane boost, my former F800 HO was finicky as hell requiring 91 only or Octane light would flash and it dropped power huge until shut off and restarted. Odd time it would even trigger running 91 or 94. Odd time I'd get stuck and pull up to a pump with 87 only, full can of Klotz Octane boost added to it's 10 gallon tank saw the light never ever even once flash. Does the stuff work, my testing suggests it works well.
    Will be doing the same thing with my new sled, will post results using Klotz under the same circumstances.
    I used to run the Klotz in my modded 800 Pro/EdgeX; smelled so good, Suki and the boys always thought I was doing laundry.

Smells just as good when I've run it in the Cobra.

used klotz in the outboard...yum