Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lap timing devices.

Lap timing devices.

Had no idea there was a number timing their laps, what are you using and how did it work?

I used my on board camera. It can be a bit tedious but at 60 FPS you can get pretty accurate. Of course you won't know the time until you process the video which for me was sometimes a few days or a week later whenever I got around to it.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
    BECAUSE RACECAR

There are so many. Here are some of the ones I tried.

Torque pro:
    It cost me under $5 and it is worth it. It connects to a Bluetooth OBDII reader that you can buy on amazon for under $20. It's good for the track but it doesn't know where the start and finish is. You have to use and google sheets addon to extract the data and then separate the data to get your times. There is an addon called track recorder and it records video, but I find it crashes a lot. This app it better for gauges and reading and clearing faults.

Here is my setup:
    [/QUOTE]

I also made this using this app:

RaceChrono:
    I love this one. I have only tried the free version. In the free version it uses the phones GPS and G-sensor to gather info. Speed, elevation, etc. It has all the loaded tracks and you can create new ones. The created tracks they have the start/finish line and check points already set up, so it can keep track of your times and laps a lot better. The paid version is like $20 and it connects to that OBDII reader and collects a lot of data. This data can be exported into a .csv file and can be imported into RaceRender with a video.

Oct. 13th screen shots

Track Addict:
    I tried the free version for the first time on the Oct. 13th Track day. I have to say I am really impressed. This one uses GPS, OBDII and it uses the phone camera or connects to a external camera (GoPro, Garmin, 360fly). This one also has a database of the tracks and Start/finish. It also makes graphs and keeps track of times and laps. You can compare chosen laps with the graph or hot map. It also plays back your video with gauges on the screen. The downside is it can not render the video or upload to Youtube. You need a render program like RaceRender. The good is that you uploads to RaceRender directly and syncs the video and data automatically. you can also export your files, in different formats. The free Edition provides most of the features at no cost, but is limited to storing three recordings, does not include live telemetry, and adds a logo to videos.

Oct. 13th screen shots

There are others but I haven't tried them.
    Track Attack
    Harry's Laptimer
    Joel,

I feel so lo-tech now
    I just review dashcam footage like Matt ....days later, just like Matt.
    -Don____________

TheMustangShow
    Problem with cheap OBD 2 BT readers (amazon and ebay) is there is lag and that will affect the accuracy of the timing app, not a lot and irrelevant if your just reading codes, but a little lag is a lot, when it comes to Lap Timing.

Don't skimp on your OBD reader. Look for a quality one like a GoPoint. http://gopointtech.com

For the app, I went with Harry's. http://www.gps-laptimer.de

I used the track addict app also. worked pretty good for what I'm looking for. Harrys lap timer was also recommended to me.

Anyone using a dedicated timing device?

tulowd
    Maybe ask the Camaro 1LE that was there - the new models have an optional Data Performance recorder, which I think is a JR version of the one in the Vette Zo6.

http://www.cosworth.com/pr-media/new...-for-corvette/

Imagine the new Mustangs will start coming with something similar soon; not sure what the GT350/R have to offer currently.

One of my favourites was Hemi Fans setup from a few years ago; impressive, especially for back then, I think he told me it was about $ 1000 all in.

Here is a GPS Lap Timer Review from a recent Car and Driver: