Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: R comp vs slicks.

R comp vs slicks.

Currently on BFG R1's but looking to replace my 17s with 18" for my Saleen wheels. With the BFGs having worked so well considering replacing with the same but like to hear feedback from those that are either running a straight slick or even better if you've gone from a comparable R Comp to slicks. Suspect cost is going to be close on both.

I have found that what you give up in grip you gain in longevity and user friendliness.

I've used Hoosier Cup and the BFG R1. Great grip but that didn't last a lot of heat cycles and when they fell off they turned to pucks or blistered.

Toyo R888, toyo RA1, NT01, Kumho Ecsta all had really good grip but they last longer and you can run them to the threads without losing consistency.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
    BECAUSE RACECAR

I'm considering the NT01's for my next set of tires after I burn through the NT05's. Might be a while though.... the NT05's still have lots left in them, even after a few seasons.
    However, they caution storing the NT01's below -9C, so I would have to consider keeping the garage heated. The NT05's on the other hand have no such warning, and mine have been fine stored in the garage.
    -Don____________

If you guys check out the CASC Ontario forums (amateur road-race sanctioning body for the area), you will sometimes see teams or individuals selling used sets of the Continental slicks used in the Touring Car Challenge series in Canada ... they are manufactured by Hoosier and are similar construction to the Hoosier R6 or R7 but with a more durable compound. The 275/35R18 that you would want is not used as much because the smaller cars are more common in the series, but they do come for sale at reasonable prices. These tires are fun to drive on, quite predictable, loads of grip especially under braking.

http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/
    12 GT500 coupe
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

Thanks Ed.
    Yes everyone should store their track day tires inside during the winter.

I always kept mine in the basement even though I built the shed in the yard to store all my other tires. My wife would give me odd looks when I would take tires from the shed to put them in the house in the fall.

"Sorry Dear ... because racecar".
    BECAUSE RACECAR

TheMustangShow
    Trying to Track Down a single R6 with Hoosier USA, to replace my damaged front one, they told me they are all gone and then went on to tell me how much improved the R7 was and that I should be prepared for a 1 to 1.5 sec reduction in times with the R7s, that's how good they are. Skeptical, I asked at Braidan, when I was there and they said same thing, there was also a dude there with a GT3 who was getting a R7 reload on his Forgelines, who evidently loves them. R7 has more grip than the R6 and more durable.

That said, with the S197 Platform totally finished now in the World Challenge, going to try to get a set for the Forgeline or BBS Racewheels off one of the retired cars and run a 18" 305 squared set up, which offers the opportunity to fully rotate and a lot more track tire selection than the 19" staggered set up I run now.

Vorshlag motorsports had great success with a heavy s197 on Hoosier R6's
    I think you need to go the other way for a change and get a pair of QTP's and really take advantage of the torque your car makes

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TheMustangShow
    Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    Vorshlag motorsports had great success with a heavy s197 on Hoosier R6's
    I think you need to go the other way for a change and get a pair of QTP's and really take advantage of the torque your car makes

Are you comparing Vorshlags NASA Mustang to my car?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMustangShow View Post
    Are you comparing Vorshlags NASA Mustang to my car?
    JT I read the forum on my phone with Tapatalk and somehow didnt not see your post at all as was replying to Rick (didn't know r7 were out either)