Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: R comp vs slicks.

Except for the noise and dust, combo I run at track days performs exceptionally well on the street. Originally expected little to no braking cold, it's actually just fine but yes does increase once you warm them up.

so much for this being a tire thread, but....

I find my XP8's manageable on the street, but I think my next setup will be track pads and rotors.
    The XP8's make a lot of dust, squeal some times, and when cold they make an awful grinding/marblely sort of noise, like when coming off a highway and coming to a stop at the light.
    -Don____________

tulowd
    track/race pads are very abrasive when cold and have a tendency to eat the rotor surfaces; something like 6:1 vs when at operating temperatures.
    Pad squeal is brutal, and if you've ever had an "OH SHIT!!!" moment on cold pads....well....that can be costly and really dangerous.

Dedicated rotors and pads for the track will make you faster and save you coin over the long term. 5 track days on my Stoptech rotors and Hawk DTC60s and no appreciable wear on either the pads or the rotors. Used to get less than a day out of rotors and EBC reds; and went slower....

No noticeable wear on the rotors, but the extra heat from these pads have started to crack the rotors (cross-drilled). Will have to replace them this winter.
    -Don____________

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    No noticeable wear on the rotors, but the extra heat from these pads have started to crack the rotors (cross-drilled). Will have to replace them this winter.
    I run Stoptech slotted rotors from Rock Auto - inexpensive and way more durable than anything else I've found. Make sure you soak them in really hot water with dish soap for about 10 minutes and then dry them thoroughly before installation; then a final brake cleaner spray to get rid of ALL oils and fingerprints etc.

Freight and GST will be added if you buy them in Canada. No tax and about half the freight cost if you ship to Niagara Falls or Buffalo. Way cheaper than American Muscle for exactly the same parts.

Quote Originally Posted by tulowd View Post
    Make sure you soak them in really hot water with dish soap for about 10 minutes
    -Don____________

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    you're a pretty smart guy......I'm sure you'll figure it out ... this comes from rotor suppliers other than just Stoptech.... lol

HP JUNIKE
    I run snow tires

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    I run snow tires
    lol
    - now that's a real DRIVER

yup it doesn't matter to good drivers what tires are on there .

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver

I'll stick with Lacquer thinners and brakes cleans. There are however co's that have developed soaps specifically intended for washing engine parts n brake rotors. Many of the products one might use to remove contaminants may very well be leaving more behind that matters vs what was there in the first place. While brake cleans does a decent job, you'll find even more on your rag or towel finishing up with thinners.

Please remember that you can’t use just any "under the kitchen counter or bathroom soap" for this purpose. Nearly every hand or dishwashing soap contains lanolin or perfume or worse and these items will leave residues that affect the break in (burnishing) of a new set of pads.